Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Writin Wednesday

It's a little early, but I was just doing a warm-up, playing with voices and I thought I'd share. Not the one's in my head, they're kinda shy. So I'll give you this because I'm busy revising The Valley, and no one wants to see that happen. It's ugly.

I Love Randy, That's All

I can’t help it because Randy’s shirt’s so soft and velvety and he smells so good, like cigarettes. I just want him to kiss me. His hair is real cute and curly and tangly and stuff, too. Sometimes there’s grass in it and Mrs. Dolan picks it out when we come in for recess. He tells her to knock it off because I think it hurts a little there’s so much tangles. I love Randy. Sometimes I push him a little and he throws rocks at me because we’re goin out. Yesterday when we were on the teeter totter I jumped off at the bottom and he fell hard WHACK! to the ground. He cried a little and called me a bad name but later he pushed Jeremiah out of the way so that he could stand next to me in line on the way to lunch. He told me I couldn’t ever stand by Jeremiah again and I said Okay because Randy’s my boyfriend.

Today we were playing Smear the Queer until Mr. Woodruff came out and yelled at us all to Knock it OFF! but we just kept playing behind the baseball backstop when he turned around to talk to Miss Murphy the playground monitor. When they start talkin they don’t watch nothin else so we played for the whole rest of recess and I got to tackle Randy twice. He couldn’t catch me any time I got the ball unless I let him. I let him once. He tackled me hard and I hit my shoulder on a sprinkler thing. It was bleeding real bad and he laughed a little and told me wipe it with some grass. I tried but it wouldn’t stop bleeding so I went to get Miss Murphy ‘cause she’s always got band-aids in that bag on her belt. She washed it off and when Mr. Woodruff asked me what happened I told him I fell. I can’t get Randy in trouble. We’re gonna get married someday.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This reminds me so much of my best girlfriend Tanya in elementary school. She was from an abusive one-parent home and was completely tough, sometimes mean and really cool and brave.

5/02/2006 3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mignon, I love how you can just easily speak with other people's voices. It's quite a talent. Whenever I write it always just sounds like me talking. ;-)

5/02/2006 5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This perfectly captures the essence of elementary school romances. If only adult romances were as simple as KNOWING who it is you want to stand next to, protect, and play with.

5/03/2006 1:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not so sure some adult relationships aren't just like this! Love the detail, the grass in the hair and the knots...can't wait for more.

5/03/2006 5:10 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

Favorite Line: "It was bleeding real bad and he laughed a little and told me wipe it with some grass." It's such KID logic. As always, great post!

5/03/2006 7:35 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

This is such a clear voice. Reading this, I get a mental image, a sense of who this character is...I love it.

5/03/2006 12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

never surrender Writin' Wednesday.

In fact, consider adding a Thursday.

Follow your bliss.

5/03/2006 9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home