Friday, April 28, 2006

Friday Concoction

So much to say, so little motivation... You feeling me, dawg? It's gorgeous here today. It is truly a perfect day. Madeleine is going on a field trip to a cattle ranch this morning and insisted on wearing all of her cowboy garb. Including a rope. Only in Montana, right? She nearly peed her pants in the car, she was so excited. Or maybe it was from the 3 giant cups of milk. Either way, it was a rush to the bathroom and then a violent struggle with her purple sparkly cowbow belt at preschool. Jim's on a weekend get-away to Atlanta with a bunch of boys he graduated with. They were sorta arguing back and forth about who's town to go to this year, when Bill piped up "Atlanta's got the biggest aquarium in the world!" Damn. He knows Jim too well. It was all I could do to keep him from bringing his snorkel and Speedo.

Hey, nice pecker.



Links and Asundry

  • Tonight's my BIL's birthday party and we're going to see Sir-Mix-Alot. Ya know, Baby Got Back? He's playing at a little dive bar here in town. I can't even imagine.
  • Motorcycle unibrow. Reminds me of my brothers. Hey boys? It's okay to wax.
  • This morning I was considering cutting all my hair off like Mollie Sue. I consider this about once a day, but earlier I was REALLY considering it. So what does a good blogger do? Google 'short hair cuts.' And holy hell, this is what came back. Remember that movie Scared Straight where the prison guys try to scare bad kids? This may have scared me long.
  • Which reminds me about yesterday Top Model thing. When I was looking for a picture of Mollie Sue I found a couple ANTM chats and EVERYONE is totally against the fixing-of-the-gap thing! Yes, vindicated. And also, some guy said this about Nnenna, which I hope I can remember and repeat in conversation some day, but most likely will screw it up and sound dumb, "That girl was drier than a saltine and rocks sandwich."
  • I admit, over the top. But can you hardly resist? I mean really? Too cute.
  • A question for you: I most likely will do my best to let my kids choose their own friends as they grow up, but I certainly will not allow them to play with children at this age (3-7?) that are not kind. But what if a child is not very bright and wants to play with your child all the time? It's crazy un-PC, but wouldn't you prefer to find other children that would perhaps stimulate your child more? I'm willing to take a lashing for this. Really. Let me have it, if you think I'm being a bitch/snob/wack-job.


Now, I've mentioned in the past Jim has a thing for pumpkins of the giant variety. There will be more told later, but 'todays retrospect is a tribute to what was last year's crop and how this year's is faring thus far.

Then (about a quarter the size he expected - but isn't the rest so pretty pretty?)


Now (these are Super Seeds, about the size of a half-dollar. Can you see the garden Jim built in the background. Pergolas rock)

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for the pumpkin pictures!!! You totally made my day. Also the seeds? All you need is like two for a snack.

Hey Jim, nice pumpkins - Sir Mix A Lot would be proud. What?

4/28/2006 12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just so you know. oprah is wearing a doilie (sp?) around her neck today.

wtf?

my. what large pumpkins you have.

and the garden is so cute. i want to move to montana.

ATL eh? You buy that aquarium stuff??? whatever! they're probably going to MASTERS. Ask TB about it...its all the rage here.

i can imagine your little girl all decked out. how cute!!

have you tried that ORGANIC FARMS milk. holy shit. i had it for the first time the other night...my granola friends are always raving about it...and i drink LOTS of milk...like your daughter. dude. stuff rocks.

'check it awwwt' (like fergie singin MY HUMPS)

4/28/2006 1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Q1: "too cute"? How do you find this stuff. Modern rocks...

Q2: As far as wanting your kids to hang with smart kids? Why is that so bad? You are responsible for providing (or trying to control) their environment so they develop into something other than a UPS (not the delivery driver).
We need clarification too: Are we talking dumb but really sweet or dumb, fat and lazy? Actively sheltering them is probably appropriate if you discern that they are being negatively affected by the situation. They're your kids - what does your heart say?

4/28/2006 2:40 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

stella, like a dollie you use to move a refrigerator or a doll? huh?

jmo, I google stuff like "pretty cute things" or "pretty pretty pretty kids stuff" and then I pick a random 'O' from the big long goooooogle at the bottom.
I wasn't actually asking for my sake. A friend's child is best buds with another little girl and she's just not a bright bulb. She's not fat or lazy, although that would be bizarre for a 5 year old, but just non-communicative and slow. Your pretty standard future Wal-Mart bagger.

4/28/2006 2:53 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Your pumpkins are awesome, and I mean that totally clean.

That haircut freaked me out. I had no idea that short hair could be so tall.

With regard to the dim little one, I think that occasional playdates, or even regular playdates, are fine, as long as your kids are also surrounded by plenty of smart, stimulating kids. If it's a situation of the dim kid CONSTANTLY playing with your child, though, I'd tend to agree with you. Kids often try to emulate their friends (says the non-mom with the defective womb). Plus, I think it's healthier for children to have a variety of playmates so that they learn to get along with different personalities. You're a smarty, though, and I'm sure Jim is, too, since he's your husband, so that'll be a far bigger factor in raising smart kids, anyway. Fear not.

4/28/2006 3:18 PM  
Blogger Imez said...

I ache to give child-rearing advice because I am such a smarty, truly. But right now my child-rearing knowledge is limited to "they make you want to throw up at 5 in the morning".

I love your vegetables, your babies, I love your life.

4/28/2006 7:40 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

I think you should cut your hair like that and then take pictures....and post them on your blog. heh, heh.

Hey, does your kiddo want to play with the other one? The friends they make right now at this age will definately change when they go to school. Don't sweat it yet.

You keep hanging around with me and I ain't reel smmart.

4/29/2006 1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no dude.

DOY -not DOLL...

like DOY-LEE.

you comprende?

4/29/2006 3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Connie Nielsen is quite a good one to Google for short hair. But really Mollie Sue is woman of the moment in hair.
Mignon!! Debbie does life is right. She asked the right question. Is Madeleine into this friend? If so, back off baby. She's 4.

4/29/2006 6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With respect to the playdate thing, Mimi has a group of about 5 friends that she hangs with at day care. I must admit that since I'm personally friends with one girl's mom, she's the one we spend time with most outside of school, but she's asked about having this one particular girl over. I don't want to do a play date because 1) the parents hardly speak to me, and 2) the girl herself is not very kind -- I think her parents are judgemental, and I don't like the influence she has on Mimi already. So I don't encourage those playdates. Maybe it's controlling, but I want people who will bolster Mimi's self-esteem, not damage it. My $.02.

4/29/2006 6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And another thing...is the less than smart friend kind? Does she display other qualities you would like to think Madeleine chose in a friend? Does she make Madeleine laugh? What constitutes "not very smart"? Do you have a test for them? Is Madeleine allowed to play with children with an intellectual disability or a learning difficulty? Mignon, most if not all of Madeleine's peers will not be as smart as her. Excuse me for being a little overly earnest and pre-menstrual here, but you did say to speak up on this. Might be a good one for your column, y'know, set a cat amongst the pigeons, create a buzz.

4/29/2006 7:28 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Stella, like a 3rd grade Christmas recital dress? With the lace doily (?) thing? You go, Oprah. bleh

PD, sorry to get you so excited. Madeleine doesn't have a friend like this, my friend's child does. He plays with her constantly and by 'not smart' I mean uncommunicative and dull. As if she watches too much television and the synapses just don't fire like they should. I have no idea if she's even a nice child because I've never seen her smile or heard her speak. This is after at least 10 encounters. I actually think Madeleine has better taste in friends than that, so I'm not worried, I was just thinking how I would react if I were my friend.

And I googled Connie and found this. A mullet? I need to find someone with thick wiry hair and see what they do. Any ideas there?

4/30/2006 9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home