Friday, March 31, 2006

Friday Concoction

Remember Andy, the ex-drinking buddy virus? He smacked Jim upside the head yesterday and Madeleine got a special treat (like a coffee can of cigarrette butts) on Tuesday. I think I commented somewhere that this has been Spring Break week for us. I'm calling it Spring Break Mommy's Will. I think we may all be through with Andy by Friday. Then, according to the schedule, Saturday we'll all come down with scurvy or something.

Hey, have I told you we're going to move? Every couple years - that's been the trend up 'til now. If Missoula was shaped like a giraffe, we would be living in its eyeball. Did you think I was going to say bum? I thought about it, but that wouldn't have been spacially correct. And plus, Sheesh! the bum is obviously East Missoula. So anyway, we'd like to live more in the ribs area. We mostly means me, because Jim thinks the eyeball is fine with all its beautiful lashes and views of the neck-al regions. But the rib area (here ends the metaphor) is a gorgeous tree-lined community surrounding the University. During election period it's full of signs of people I'd vote for, the parks are close, I can walk the kids to and from school, and if we go out on the town we can walk home (this was a huge selling point for Jim). It's urban living in a small town. Have I said our neighborhood association doesn't allow election signs? It's pure fascism up here in the eyeball.

Links and Random Section:

  • This is a cool marble track building set I bought Madeleine for Christmas. Prairie Dawn asked for the link, and it's worth putting up again, because I love it, she loves it, and so far the baby hasn't swallowed any marbles.
  • Yesterday Madeleine was trying to give Quinn his binky, commanding him to "Thuck! Thuck" (she has a lisp). I heard a little thump, then "Pooey, I thaid THUCK not THIT!!"
  • Have you seen this old video? Are they doing the same experiments in the White House? Or South Dakota? Yes - notice the bunching.
  • Does anyone remember reading a post about a mom that bought a parentling book with something about "Strong-Willed Child" in the title? I can't remember who's post it was, but want to ask her about the book...
  • I'm speechless. This is the prettiest thing I've seen. Maybe ever. Are you even kidding me how pretty it is?


I love sandcastles and snowpeople. The first, my brother Tobin and I made on the Oregon Coast when I was 12 (eek! 21 years ago!). The second, Madeleine and I made last year (it looks like her hands are behind her back because the other side is another person holding an armful of snowballs). Madeleine insisted on the boobs.

Then


Now

21 Comments:

Blogger Montana1 said...

It might be kind of nice to see soldiers laughing like those on LSD. I'm not advocating the use of acid, but it certainly looks to create a less aggressive environment.

FYI- we had our 1st soccer practice wed. I've got the Our Gang bunch, complete with Spanky, Alphafa and a broken-femor-recovery kid that can't run or kick. Sadly, more change means less change... I do it for the kids! And screw those spineless people too afraid to talk with me directly (you know to what I am speaking.)

3/31/2006 9:15 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Brian! Yay! Hey, screw the whole gay thing (um?) I AM hot. I am so rocking these dirty sweats and stinky slippers!
Any chance to taunt Vern is a gift from, uh, somewhere glorious and secular that gives gifts. Nordstroms?

Bill, you gotta take some pictures. You know 10 years from now you're going to think back and crack up.

3/31/2006 9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did it show? I know it did - I'm just wondering if the SO ate all the chocolate and threw away the box...

3/31/2006 9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the snow woman - very Gloria Steinham. And that sand head is freaking awesome. You made that when you were 12? Very creative.

Good luck with your move. The ribs sound much more your speed than the eyeball. And there is something to be said for being in a walkable community and being near a state university. (For you it's even better because you will have child care out the wazoo.) I will miss that when I move to Florida.
We can all stress out together!

Hope you avoid the scurvy this weekend and also the clap.

3/31/2006 9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh holy Nordstroms... send me some italian slingbacks...

So you're moving! I can't wait to commiserate over the hell that is packing! Congratulations.

3/31/2006 9:45 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

T, I thought I was being so funny with the scurvy, and then you said clap and I laughed so hard the baby started crying!

LB, the packing. I know. I know.

3/31/2006 9:49 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Mmmmm....ribs.

That hand-held vacuum really is beautiful. Would you start to distance yourself from me if I said it looked vaguely erotic? Well, I didn't say that...I said "if."

Love the Snowlady.

3/31/2006 9:58 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

I don't think I stopped laughing through that entire post. Scurvy, Giraffes eyeballs (No, ass. No, eyeballs), Thuck and Thit, Snowpeople with boobs. Thank you. That's going to start my weekend off wonderfully.

3/31/2006 10:10 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

You're moving! I wish I lived closer (perhaps living in the same country would help); I'd come help you pack.

Why yes, that is a very pretty dustbuster. Dang.

I love the Then and Now photos. Love 'em.

3/31/2006 11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the friday concoction. it is a reliable source of enjoyment. weekly. like every friday, kind of thing.

3/31/2006 1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the most beautiful vacuum ever. I'm almost inclined to buy one.

But then? I'd have to use it. Sheesh. Who wants to invite that kind of misery?

3/31/2006 1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the marble racer thingo, I'm going to buy Jesse one for his Birthday. Did you buy any of the accessories? I think I have to have them.
The vacuum looks nice....but does it really suck?

3/31/2006 4:57 PM  
Blogger Table4Five said...

That marble racer thing is cool, we have a plastic Discovery Toys one I got at a garage sale for a dollar. I like wood toys better, but my kids always spend their birthday and Christmas money on plastic crap.

That snowlady has quite the perky boobs. She must not have had children yet.

Cripes that vacuum is sexy, but for that price it should...my husband looked over my shoulder and volunteered "make sweet love to you". He was talking about the vacuum of course. Pervert.

3/31/2006 6:32 PM  
Blogger Mitch said...

When I was little, I made a russian snowwoman in a recliner, wearing an apron, holding a beer, sitting in front of a TV. I'll have to look for pictures.

Also when I was a kiddo, Gram would have me help her vacuum - she called it "sucking up spiders." I had the lisp of a three year old & said "Fucking up Fiders." Made the daycare ladies wonder.

Head in the sand is actually kinda creepy - what is the eyeball made of?

3/31/2006 7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my first time here. Found you through Word Girl.

Great writing!

4/01/2006 8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I almost spit out the cereal I'm eating (yes, I eat and blog -- I live a dangerous life) when I read about the scurvy and then TB's comment about the clap. hahahahahahaha!

Can't wait to hear all about the move -- the new ribs locale sounds fine.

Love the then and now pics also.

4/01/2006 10:46 AM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

Funny, I never pictured you living in a place that had a neighborhood association. I envisioned you living halfway up a mountain, surrounded by all those gorgeous views we keep getting glimpses of in Madeline's photos.

This is off-topic, but I was thinking about you the other day when Hubby & I went to Viva Zapata in New Haven for dinner. Ever been there? That's where we had our first date, and the menu is exactly the same today as it was 19 years ago. The tables have a million names carved in them, and I couldn't help wondering if yours was one of them...

4/01/2006 7:03 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Hi Hanni (can't figure out oom-laht)! Hi Mitch! Thanks for stopping by. The eyeball is a giant broken shell. It was actually a whole head, and then little brother tried to 'help' and the other half of the face collapsed so we stuck a bottle of Killian's in it's half-mouth to illustrate the destructive properties of alcohol. Isn't that deep?

Nancy, I know - I'm still chuckling about the clap comment.

Elizabeth, we have a plastic marble thingy too, but I've hidden it because the wood one is so much more interesting. And the plastic one came from MIL.

PD, I'm all over the accessories. The extra blocks, the dominoes, the multi-directional block thingy. It's become a kind of sickness. I'm warning you.

4/01/2006 8:18 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

And GG! My name is in one of the Viva booths! As I recall it's the second one on the left along the back wall... That's where I took my brother once when he came to visit me in college and that's where I first introduced him to my now-husband.

Mmmm, now I'm craving a margarita. But, then, I think I'm always craving a margarita...

4/01/2006 8:31 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Spring Break Mommy's Will....hehe!

And that thing makes me almost want to vaccuum!

4/02/2006 12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ribs seem to suit you so much better than the eyeball.

Sounds like the eyeball is just begging to be poked!

4/03/2006 1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home