Thursday, March 23, 2006

Pink hearts? I thought it was the Lucky Charm influence.

Did you notice Writin Wednesday was swept under the carpet? I had to postpone my meeting with my instructor until this afternoon, so I spent yesterday writin writin writin, just not sharing sharing sharing.* The instructor wrote his own course materials, and as a friend said to me yesterday (quoting another teacher), in creative writing classes you learn how to write like the instructor likes to write. In this case, he apparently likes to write a piece the incorrect way several times before weedling it down to something a little more 'quality' (has anyone ever read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? I love this idea of quality as it pertains to art...). I don't like his method, because I'm a snotty egomaniac, and I don't want to bend my words into something obviously piss-poor. I'm going to kindly broach this subject today with Mr.H - maybe we can come up with a different way to do the exercises. Because I'm paying him.

*Backstory: I signed up for a distance learning course through the UofM a couple years ago, but got a little sidetracked with pregnancy and two kids, so I'm finally getting my act together to finish the thing.

Here, looky the pretty heart Madeleine drew for me yesterday:



"No, Mommy. It's not a heart... it's a GUN!!! See the bullets?"
"Honey, what do guns do?"
"Kill."
"Kill what?"
"Elk."
Yes, sweetheart. Pink guns with bubble-gum bullets kill elk.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww the [ink gun for killing elk. it is a very pretty gun and i do not normally like guns.

3/23/2006 8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe she's trying to kill Bullwinkle.

I don't blame her. He always did get on my nerves.

3/23/2006 9:41 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

I love your kid.

3/23/2006 9:51 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

So creative, that one!

3/23/2006 10:33 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I think your daughter may be Barbarella.

3/23/2006 1:28 PM  
Blogger Imez said...

Pink guns with bubble gum bullets don't kill elk. Everyone knows you need candy cane crossbows to bring an elk down.

You can learn even from crap professors, I think. Identifying what makes his work bad will keep it out of your own forever, because it will remind you of him and you'll be disgusted. More effective than good teaching, sometimes, being shown what's bad.

What is his writing like?

3/23/2006 7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I might even kill elk if i had such a pretty pistol. They make such an annoying sound...

3/23/2006 7:46 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

You know, now that I think about it, I'm surprised they don't make 'cute' guns for the fashion forward female NRA members. Or the gay ones. Or something. You know, like the cute cell-phone or iPod covers. But for glocks.

Es, his writing is good, and he is a published author, but his approach is apparently far different from mine. Also, I should add, he strokes my ego, and for that I'll pay lots of dollars. So I'll suffer through the rest of his course, and hopefully befriend him enough that he can be a critic for me in the future. But god I hate the exercises. Ugh. And he's not very cute. I was sure he was going to be cute.

3/23/2006 8:18 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

You can send him one of my posts and then fix it..oh, wait, my posts would have to have some potential for you to fix, nevermind. Pretend you are in second grade and write the way a second grader would.

Guns for shooting elk...she clearly has met my children.

3/23/2006 9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home