Thursday, March 23, 2006

Scratch it off my list.

Tomorrow, early, we'll all get up and throw clothes and toys and unnecessary personal hygiene stuff in duffel bags, load up on coffee and doughnuts and head for the hills. Specifically, Jim's parents' cabin, nestled in the hills a long-ass way from here. Jim loves this cabin, the dead animal heads, the scritching of the rats on the tin-roof, the permeating smell of woodsmoke, the endless games of pinochle and Scrabble. I would love this cabin too, if it were in a town, had electricity, several bedrooms, air purifiers, rodent-free (which includes the yappy biting dogs that steal food from my childrens' mouths), and wasn't situated next to Randy Weaver's vacation home. No, I'm no kidding.

This is one of those things that I do for Jim once or twice a year that makes him love me a whole bunch and giddy like a schoolboy wrestler who doesn't eat enough and the dehydration and dieting makes him hallucinate and giggle uncontrollably in his little leotard. Did I say that the children and dogs have to wear orange vests when they go for walks? Why? So they don't get shot by Dick Cheney. Haha ha ha ha. *Ahem* Anyway, we'll back Sunday, dirty stinkin tired. And Jim will think I'm the Best Woman Ever Made. And then Grey's Anatomy will be on, and all will be right again. Jim will be refreshed and refueled from the weekend, and that will make me feel good. And hopefully, come Monday, this won't be me:

(Don't worry. Mrs. Floppy's okay - she apparently has a swim bladder issue, according to Jim the Science Guy. Believe it or not, the swim bladder was the focus of his abandoned PhD project. So he probably knows, but still, I poked her a couple times to be sure. And no, I'm not sure it's a her, but the other one we call Mr. Floppy because he always has a big long string of poo hanging out his butt that is slightly reminiscent of a giant unit. Which actually makes me wonder a little more about the obvious distress of Mrs. Floppy. Huh.)

So tell me, what crappola thing do you do for your partner that makes them happy? Is it worth it?

Have a happy weekend!

12 Comments:

Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

Have fun, good luck.

Crappola thing for significant other - road trips...he doesn't stop or let us out of the damn car. Drives me nuts, I no longer get in without a destination and written contract in place stating we will stop, we will eat and we will let the kids run and play.

3/23/2006 9:51 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Much luck, my darling!

And um, I was gonna say "blow jobs", but I wouldn't want to be gross or anything. ;)

3/23/2006 11:30 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

LMAO. I'm with Brooke. And there's the odd time when I let my husband pull the van over so he can throw something that someone else has deemed trash and thrown on the side of the road into the back. Something we already have three of in our garage, like, say, a table or a dresser.

3/24/2006 5:57 AM  
Blogger DoctorMama said...

Ooh, I feel your pain.

My husband has two sets of parents, one wild and one sedate (though all good Democrats who like to drink). The wild ones bought a boat not long ago. Not a yacht -- a little boat, with a tiny camper-sized place to sleep. And they wanted us to visit them there. I resisted for a long time, because wild baby + tiny boat + crazy grandparents + seasick Mama + no place to sleep = NO FUN x 4,432,762. I did finally give in, but insisted that we get a hotel room on dry land for the nights, which bummed them out a little bit. Then I spent several days insisting over and over that yes, the baby DOES have to wear a lifejacket! Ye gods. But it definitely made my husband happy, and he's a saint, so I'll probably keep doing it.

3/24/2006 8:51 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

1. Watch the film _Old School_, repeatedly;

2. Totally worth it.

You're a good wife.

3/24/2006 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh god, that sounds awful. you are a very good woman for going. i wouldn't. but have fun. enjoy.

3/24/2006 9:08 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

You should carry around a gun just in case you DO see Dick Cheney. Then shoot him and say it was self defense.

What's up with your fish tank chick? Is it supposed to be GREEN like that? ;)

3/24/2006 10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you ae managing to have more fun than Mrs. Floppy.

Jeff is very cautious and covers all bases while I am much more fly by the seat of my pants and slapdash. For him, only when he asks me to, I do extra cautious things, like lock the deadbolt, sign my credit cards and generally act more like the adult I'm supposed to be. And I know it makes him happy, so it's worth it.

Have a great weekend!

3/24/2006 10:49 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I am envisioning the PhD pitch that includes Swim Bladders.

My partner?
I send him away, frequently. As in "Please go out somewhere, you are pacing and driving us nuts". I also encourage him to "go out with the Boys" cause he always comes home a much happier, appreciative husband.
And it is SO worth it.

Have fun at gun camp.

3/24/2006 3:25 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

What do I do to make my man happy??? Boink him!

Is that really your fish?

3/24/2006 3:40 PM  
Blogger Imez said...

You are so sweet and clever to end your posts with a question so we can talk about ourselves, too. People love that! I'm gonna steal it.

Honestly, I'd trade my badly carpeted cramped apartment for a stinky woods cabin with dogs that help me diet.

Name all the dead animal heads and then pretend to be Alex Trebek playing Jeapordy with them.

"I'm sorry Mr. MooseySnoot, not fast enough. We were looking for, "What is "The Right to Bear Arms?"

3/24/2006 7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read this post and saw the picture of Mrs. Floppy and - gulp. I'm hoping Little Guppy didn't have a 'swim bladder issue' as well...

Although methinks it's maybe slightly too late to be considering that.

3/28/2006 3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home