Sunday, December 17, 2006

Pretend you're opening an envelope with golden lining...

This morning we had The Money Talk. With eight shopping days left, The Money Talk came early this year. Where we hang our heads and tsk-tsk at our spending habits. Why did we eat out twice the second weekend in November??? Who is this Kathy person and why did I pay her $37 two Thursdays ago? Why didn't you sign up for overdraft protection - no why didn't you - because I told you to - well you're just going to have to go in there on Monday... and so on. It's so goddamn depressing. Not because we're poor, because we're not. We're just incredibly bad at saving. If you look around our house, there's no fancy couch that jumps up and smacks you in the face, saying "IT WAS ME! THIS IS WHERE EVERY EXTRA CENT IN JULY AND AUGUST WENT!!" There's no classy art. Jewels? I own two diamond chips. There should be three in my wedding ring, but one fell out in a basketball game a couple years ago.

So where did it go?

Exhibit A:
Our February Big Sky trip. Madeleine had her first two ski lessons. She loved it so much, when all the bobble-head children went in for hot chocky, she stayed out, riding up and down the 1 degree slope. We also got a cheap babysitter and had a beautiful night out on the mountain. And the two-word clincher: Hot Springs


Exhibit B:
Parties: This was a Big Brother Big Sister auction. I paid a lot of money for those boobs. No, not that. They're real, but full of milky goodness for Pooey. He ran about $2500, plus parts and labor...


Exhibit C:
Family fun in Winthrop, Portland and Pendleton. Trips are fun. Trips cost money. But trips that cost money are more fun than trips that are totally free. Hence Stumptown, Round-Up and the 4th of July were more fun than a trip to the toilet. I couldn't even find a single photo of Madeleine with her charming, I-just-swallowed-Ipecac face for the entire summer.




and finally, Exhibit D:
The Year 2006. We lived and laughed and loved each other, and while it seems like it should be free, it wasn't. But it is freeing, and for that I will gladly incur the debt as 2006 comes to a close.
It's so wonderfully worth it.



Happy Holidays to all of you. Consider this your Christmas Card, unless I find a way to sell my body for some stamps...

Love,
Mignon, Jim, Madeleine and Quinn

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Money Talk... *shudder* Yuck.

Happy Holidays to you, too!

12/17/2006 2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It all looks worth it.

12/17/2006 4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG. We had The Money Talk today too. We're still alive, both of us...surprisingly.

Happy Holidays to you, too. I love my card. :)

12/17/2006 4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You deserved your awesome year. It's wonderful that you can see where your money went and it's in memories and not hdtv. Merry Christmas!!

12/17/2006 7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have the exact same situation, it seems. One of our best trips was a Disney Cruise a couple of years ago. So sweet. I can't figure out where the cash goes. But by God, we've had some good times. Lately we've been mooching off the family and friends. We have a free place in Siesta Key, one in D.C. in the Capitol Hill neighborhood, and one out near Wilmington, right on the beach. We have no shame. And hey, if you guys can ever make it out to the Smoky Mountains, let me know. We'll put you up. Course, I've always wanted to do some flyfishing in Montana......

12/17/2006 7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was lovely. You're getting one from me through snail mail. I'm just sayin'.

12/17/2006 10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! Especially the picture in the center, it so depicts a happy family that spends a lot of time together.

12/18/2006 7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the potpourri Christmas card! By the way, I am terribly behind on Christmas stuff, but am getting out an ornament today post-haste (and hopefully hasty post)!

12/18/2006 9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a treat. Merry Christmas, sistah, from my tribe to yours.

12/18/2006 11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, "They're real, but full of milky goodness." I'm going to use that one sometime. HAH!

12/18/2006 12:55 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

Packages keep arriving for family members. So I think I got drunk one night and did all my Christmas shopping online. That's where MY money went.

I love the blog-card idea. I may have to steal... er borrow it.

12/18/2006 1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome card. Thanks for sharing!

Our money talk happened after looking at the account balance for December after an ATM withdrawal at the Christmas Market here.

Suffice it to say... I am postponing a much needed haircut until January, and we are now drinking wine from a box.

We were able to afford a big nutcracker - which was the only thing our daughter asked for this Christmas.

12/18/2006 10:52 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Dayum, your family is beautiful.

Ah, the money talk. And I buy used and haven't even had a professional haircut in two years! All the cash has gone to artisanal ham.

12/19/2006 5:53 AM  
Blogger Jess Riley said...

That's a fantastic Christmas card! And I'm with arabella; you have an incredibly photogenic family.

We've been wondering where the hell our money has been going lately as well. Unfortunately, it's been going to incredibly boring things like Shop Vacs and Compost Tumblers. And one incredible tea and vitamin shopping binge online.

12/19/2006 1:39 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Cute! Love the collage.

12/20/2006 4:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home