Friday, December 15, 2006

Recycling. For kids' sake.

I'm sorry, but I have to recycle. We've got two birthday parties today and one tomorrow and Madeleine's is in a week (apparently everyone in Montana got really busy in late March five years ago...). A week full of seven days that are going to seem about 45 minutes long. And also I haven't done Christmas Cards, Quinn is emptying the contents of my wallet and stuffing them down the heater vent and my feet are really freaking cold. That last one is neither here nor there, but it is incredibly distracting when I'm trying to be creative.

So here is the impetus for last year's First Annual B-List Blogger Ornament Exchange Crap:

December 12, 2005

I went to hell yesterday. I mean a cookie/ornament exchange party. I am down on these, in general, because I like my own taste in cookies and ornaments much more than the friends of friends of friends that I meet for the first time at these parties. Who knows if they rub raw pork on their counters before rolling out their mayonnaise and clamato juice holiday shortbread? But. The 5 dozen cookies I came home with were only nauseating because I ate 5 dozen of them. Hence the photo. The ornaments were ugly, as anticipated, so I hid mine in my cookie tin after I saw all the little cheap-o ones hanging from the ornament tree. A plastic car with Scooby-Doo (albeit, in a Santa hat) hanging out the driver's side window? Everyone knows Scooby doesn't drive! Except maybe when he's trippin' on Scooby Snax. I really like classic ornaments, painted or blown glass and the like. The only plastic we have are from previous ornament exchange parties. Before I learned. [Updated to add: Plastic ornaments apparently do serve a purpose. Toddlers can chew on them without a trip to the emergency room. Glass balls? Less satisfactory toddler snacks.]

However, and here's the going-out-on-a-limb part, with all that said, and feeling confident in those of you I've met in this blogging business, I am proposing an ornament exchange. If you're with me, just comment and I'll think of some way to draw names or some business like that.

8 Comments:

Blogger Arabella said...

I don't think there's anything worse than mayonnaise TOGETHER with Clamato. ((shudder))

Do we have a deadline for the '06 exchange?

12/15/2006 2:55 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Yes, shall we say '06?

12/15/2006 3:00 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Sounds good to me!

12/16/2006 9:57 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

It's probably too late to partcipate in the ornament exchange? If not, let me know (I'm not a blogger per se, but I've read TBs blog for a year or more; I love her stuff.)

Thanks,
Elizabeth

12/17/2006 6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mignon, I'm detecting a hint of cynicism, or is that holiday burn out?

I will be completely honest and tell you that since I made a ton of extra ornaments last year, I sent my exchangee a few of those rationalizing that in my condition, I should not be exposed to paint and glue gun fumes. Does this make me a bad, anti-holiday spirit kind of person?

12/17/2006 7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tiny little note of panic: I thought we were supposed to send one very nice ornament... but after reading a few comments, now I am thinking... are we supposed to send several? And what if you (I) didn't have the time or talent to make one, and bought it? (But it's not Scooby Doo, I promise!) Yikes...

12/17/2006 9:58 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Lizzie, I'm sorry - you were just a day late... I would've traded with you, but I sent mine yesterday.

And I don't think I'm a blogger per se either, for what it's worth.

Teebs, you are a naughty naughty girl. Go see Jeff for your punishment.

12/17/2006 10:56 AM  
Blogger meno said...

i sent you an e-mail to join, but i didn't hear back.

Now i'm confused, so all is normal.

12/17/2006 2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home