Friday, January 06, 2006

Thanks Nancy!

See? I did it. I'm not in love with it, because I couldn't figure out how to make the picture stretch all the way across, thus the repeat. But I totally burned through the baby's nap tinkering with it. Did you come and visit while I was in progress? Because for a while the whole site looked seriously fucked up. I also had to learn how to use Gimp - the Mac equivalent of Photoshop. It's really pretty handy, but occasionally shuts down for no reason. But I have Nancy to thank for getting the ball rolling. You must be a kick-ass librarian!

This all vaguely reminded me of taking Fortran for Engineers in college. I had no previous programming experience and I truly sucked the doughnut in that class. I remember crying in the computer lab at 3 in the morning because I couldn't make the program count the number of e's in my Professors name. I don't know when I've ever felt more inadequate, of course, aside from too many moments to count of being a mom. I remember trying to sleep and trying to think of the proper Fortran nomenclature for rolling over (when I wasn't picturing Tetris tiles falling into place - that game still haunts me). Eventually I cajoled my brain through it and passed, but the sound of the word Fortran still makes me tuck my tail and shudder.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tink said...

*Golfer's Clap* I popped in while you were working on it. I sort of wondered what kind of drugs you were on and if you'd share... But I had faith you'd work your issues out. ;) Looks good! Great job!

1/06/2006 10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allright. We'll beat this tech thing yet.

My biggest nemesis was my grad level statistics/research methods class. Regression analysis brought me to tears on more than one occasion.

1/06/2006 10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks good! I am glad I could help. I don't know why, but I've always liked the HTML and web design stuff. Maybe that will be my next career, when I'm done with this computer policy stuff I'm doing now. ;-)

1/06/2006 10:45 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Kind of wishing I'd popped in while it was all fucked up...I could use a free buzz.

I like it!

I get very overwhelmed when I am trying to do something on the computer and can't do it...I get frustrated quickly and I feel embarrased when my hubs walks over and clicks the mouse once and everything is magically fixed.

1/06/2006 1:53 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

Hoorray for you! i like it.

Fortran, my hubby had to take that in college. I heard nothing but cussing about that class.

1/06/2006 9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Fortran prof at GA Tech had (from birth, I believe) only 6 digits (index, middle and thumb) on both hands. I was so amazed at his lightening fast typing I forgot to hate the Fortran.

1/08/2006 11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home