Thursday, December 22, 2005

Distracted By iTunes, Mignon Discovers Gold

I just wrote a long-ish post about scary kids shows (prompted by Lady Elaine, the alcoholic bee-ahtch museum curator in Mr. Roger's neighborhood and by Queen Mama's post about Lazytown with the freakazoid rubber puppets), but Safari imploded while I was being distracted by iTunes.

Which leads me to my discovery! Neil Diamond! Yes, he's been back for a while, and I knew it, but I resisted sampling his new album, because he embarrasses me. Like someone that should've retired gracefully into the sound booth, producing younger and less icky hairsprayed talent. But it's really good. I mean, really good like I downloaded it immediately after hearing the first song "Oh Mary." Plus it brings back memories; the Jazz Singer was my first album. I bought it with my own money and sang along with all the songs in little-girl lust. I have no idea whether it was a good movie or not. Probably not. What crooner has ever made a really good movie? No really, who? Tell me if you know.

But anyway, I started to think about all of my musical firsts. First album Jazz Singer, first tape Michael Jackson's Thriller, first CD Nirvana Nevermind. First iTunes download? This Woman's Work, Kate Bush. Because I'm a mom. Song playing the first time I ever kissed my husband? The End, The Doors. Yeah really.
What are your firsts?

7 Comments:

Blogger The Queen Mama said...

Hey, we share a musical first! Michael Jackson's "Thriller," only it was my first album, not my first tape. That honor goes to Van Halen "1984." First CD was Sinead O'Connor's debut album, and first downloaded tune was...oh God, I am a geek..."Jive Talkin'" by the Bee Gees.

There was no music playing when Hubby and I had our first kiss (other than the trumpet fanfare and exploding fireworks heard in my head) but our song is "Something to Talk About" by Bonnie Raitt. Because we were friends first among a larger group of friends, and when we first started dating, oh my, the hens they did cackle. Ahhhh...good memories.

This was fun! Thanks for the trot down memory lane. Now I think "Jive Talkin'" is calling my name.

12/22/2005 3:00 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Hmmm...first tape was Tears for Fears' "Songs from the Big Chair" I think, or Madonna's "Like a Virgin". Tiffany's debut album was like, my third or fourth tape...I'm blushing just typing this...

First CD was Smashing Pumpkins -- Siamese Dream. And I have absolutely no clue what the first tune I downloaded was. I do remember my first vinyl -- The Sex Pistols, Pirates of Destiny, on pink swirly vinyl. I thought that was the shit.

No freakin' clue what was playing when Dave and I had our first kiss. Probably the TV in the background and not a song. We don't share many similar music tastes, which is why I think when we first kissed we were watching the Eco Challenge and not rockin' out to tunes. LOL.

12/22/2005 3:58 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

First record busted while jumping on the bed at my friends house - BeeGees.

First record I bought - Duran Duran, baby!

First tape - Dream Academy, Life In A Northern Town.

First CD - not sure, I worked in a record store and collected CDs like candy. Possibly, Peter Gabriel.

First iPod download - again not sure, I went ape shit and bought anything and everything I could think of...although it was probably 'Better Now'. For some reason as commercial as that song is, his voice makes me all oogly boogily when I hear it.

12/22/2005 8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first makeout session in the back seat of a car - Heaven - The BeeGees

My first concert - Loverboy

My first album that I purchased with my own money - Air Supply greatest hits

The first CD I ever owned - Counting Crows -August and Everything After. Man I loved them when they were young and hungry.

As for Neal Diamond, I love him. But I feel the same way about him as I do about my love for Barry Manilow and Air Supply - it's better left to me and my ipod with headphones on. However, Neal is making some kind of a comeback. I love his new song. Definitely get it from itunes Mignon.

12/23/2005 8:03 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

First tape of my very own was the soundtrack to "Stand By Me." It was a birthday present, and I played it on another birthday present, which was a lavender plastic 80's-style boom box that my mother just found while cleaning out the basement. I don't recall my first CD, and I'm still a download virgin!

First kiss was had while the film _Aliens_ was on in the background. First kiss with husband was at Columbus Circle in NYC, with city traffic as the soundtrack.

This is fun!

12/23/2005 9:40 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Arabella, you reminded me my first tape was actually Stand By Me, as well. My brother bought it for me and disguise-wrapped it in an oddly-shaped box.
And I just remembered the first video I ever saw was Billy Idol, Dancin' With Myself. And, to follow TB, my first concert was the B52s.

Mama-Tu, The Sex Pistols? You win, girl.

12/23/2005 11:04 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

I'm a huge Pistols fan; have been since I was an angry teenager. That 'Pirates of Destiny' album started off my small but cool vinyl collection...I managed to pick up some cool records along the way.

12/23/2005 5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home