Saturday, December 06, 2008

Hug the one you're with.

He died yesterday. Sammy, the kids' cousin, was found with a belt around his neck on Monday night. His brother tried to revive him, and he was able to get his heart beating with CPR, but it was too late, and he died yesterday. He was a great kid, and many of you who know me may have heard me talking about him. He was only 11, but he knew exactly who he was and what he liked and didn't give a shit if anyone thought he was different. Sam's mom gave birth to a baby boy about 10 hours before her son was taken off life support. Impossible - the whole thing is just fucking impossible. For a terrible few days we thought Sam had committed suicide, but now we know he was a victim of self-induced hypocapnia.

We've been keeping the kids as informed as they need to be, and things around here are okay. Any time Jim or I get alone, that's when we're sad, but Madeleine and Quinn are wonderful little people, and my knuckles are sore from knocking on all the wood surfaces in our house.

Hug the one you're with today.

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Woah - I'm sorry in so many ways that words can not express. *Hugs* from afar.

12/06/2008 10:31 AM  
Blogger sfcurtis said...

that was me sarah a - not john (who was logged in).

12/06/2008 10:35 AM  
Blogger Orange said...

Jesus, I'm so sorry. How demolished the family must feel. Only 11? Wow. I'm going to make a mental note to warn Ben when he's a little older, and I'm going to tell my sister about Sammy so that she can have a talk with her kids (who are 13 and 15).

12/06/2008 11:06 AM  
Blogger SUEB0B said...

That's so awful. I'm sorry. My very best thoughts for you and your family.

12/06/2008 2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so, so sorry for you and your family.

My daughter is sitting in my lap, eating her first Butterfinger. I'm hugging her, typing this with one hand, and crying.

Count your blessings, indeed.

12/06/2008 3:48 PM  
Blogger meno said...

Eleven years old.

How unutterably sad. I'm so sorry.

12/07/2008 12:07 PM  
Blogger Never That Easy said...

I'm so sorry.

12/07/2008 4:10 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Oh my God. I am so sorry, M.

12/07/2008 4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always known there were reasons why I had to keep reading you. Beyond your simple humanity. If there is anything I can do, please let me know. Let Sammy's family know that there are those of us out here who weep with them and hold them in our hearts.

12/07/2008 9:00 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

I don't know which is worse - thinking that it was on purpose or finding out that it wasn't. Either way, it is a tragedy.

again - I'm sorry for your loss.

12/08/2008 8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Mignon. I am so, so sorry. How unbelievably sad and horrible. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

12/08/2008 12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is so much emotion on this end of this comment, that I can't properly put it into words Mignon. Maybe it's a form of self-protection that it's difficult to fully wrap the mind around what has happened. Maybe because of your post, of your readers, of spreading the news, another family might be spared. Another child might be talked to, you can't change the fate of your beautiful Sammy, but maybe, just maybe you can save someone else's heart. Someone's child. Maybe you already have. For the first time ever, blogging to me, has become very real, very personal, and possibly life saving, more than just soul saving.

12/08/2008 12:19 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

I'm so, so sorry.

12/09/2008 12:15 PM  
Blogger HeyJoe said...

My God that's terrible. I'm very sorry.

12/09/2008 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home