Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I'm always going to be someone's little sister.

I am not willing to go gentle into the night. I won't rage, but I will give getting old the finger.

I will hurl myself around a hockey rink and wear shiny lipgloss. I will pull my giant sweats down to my buttcrack and hunch my shoulders in a huge hoodie. I will say "retarded" and "cocksucker." I will read gossipy websites and text my friends. I will download Kanye and crank Alanis in the "when you fuck her" part. I will neglect thank you notes and RSVPs. I will go to TJ Maxx too often and eat instant cinnamon rolls.

But also I will show my daughter how to do a headstand. I will have a beer with friends on the back deck before a football game. I will join Facebook and reconnect with Fred. I will write funny and sad stories about being poor. I will skip making dinner when Jim's gone and take the kids to get burgers. I will make sand castles and ride water slides. I will watch Youtube videos of Ninja Warriors when I'm home alone. I will fart to make Quinn laugh.

I don't care if I'm young around my eyes and on the backs of my arms. I want to be young when it matters. For me, I guess, it also means being young when I shouldn't.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES.

If you make it to FB, feel free to connect with me, too.

(Eh, I don't care so much for the shiny lipgloss. Only because it's a magnet for my hair. But all the rest - hells yeah.)

11/19/2008 1:31 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Love it, love it.

11/20/2008 12:54 PM  
Blogger Imez said...

Not able to pin down why, Farty girl, but God you rock.

"When Mignon is Old She Shall Wear Purple (lip gloss)."

11/20/2008 4:25 PM  
Blogger Feral Mom said...

Something tells me you'll never get old. In any sense of the word.

I have a fantasy involving living down the hall from you in the retirement home, circa 2058. We'll sneak out the balcony and go for smokes and beer, then get the other seniors loaded. Then we'll go cruising in the flying car.

Who's with me?

11/20/2008 8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it! What do I do when my hubby says "Who's Fergie?" :)

11/21/2008 8:15 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Robyn, gladly - just email me your last name. And I'm unwilling to give up shiny lipgloss, regardless of how annoying it is on a windy day.

Arabella, thanks. Love to see you writing again!

Imez, yes I think I shall. And I am a farty girl, by the way. Especially when I drink milk or eat elk.

FM, flying cars!! Silver clothes! Universal health care! We're going to rock 2058.

Jen, just leave D-Listed open on your computer when he's going to use it, and he'll catch up in no time.

11/21/2008 8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm all about the lipgloss. My favorite cosmetic.

And I like to park in the fire lane at school and try to sneak through the halls without signing in at the office. I'm a suburban mom badass, ha, ha, ha.

11/23/2008 6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home