Tuesday, December 02, 2008

How you process really terrible bad news.
First you want to call someone. Your mom. Your friend you see every day when you pick your kids up from school.
Then you don't want to. You don't want to talk to anyone about it.
You get angry. Angry at your kids for wanting to set up Christmas decorations. Angry at them for whining.
Then you feel bad about that anger. They're children. They're small and need you.
Angry seems wrong and you feel bad about feeling wrong.
You want to tell them the bad news so that they'll hug you. You want to hug a child, not an adult.
But then you don't want to tell them, either. You will have to later, but not now.
You make them dinner and listen to them make up jokes. You oblige when they want you to make up jokes.
You tell them to eat their oranges and you empty all the garbages in the house.
You let them eat fudgsicles while you do laundry and wash the mirror in the bathroom.
You help them brush their teeth and you clean the bathroom floor while the fiddle with legos and Playmobil.
The phone rings and you drop it, fumble it and lose it under the bathroom sink.
You finally retrieve it, then get more bad news.
You lay next to your baby, letting him rub the crook of your arm while you think of terrible things.
You kiss his eyes and his cheeks when his breath rattles through his stuffy nose.
Then you lay with your daughter while she reads to you.
You kiss her forehead and nose and tell her you love her.
You turn off her lamp and push her hair away from her face.
Then you go out to your husband and stand apart, staring at fixed spots on the floor, the wall, your reflection in the window.
Neither of you know how to soothe the other.
You go up to your bedroom and lay on your side, your arms and legs wrapped around a pillow.
You don't want to hug an adult when you're sad. You want to hug a child.

10 Comments:

Blogger Orange said...

I'm sorry, Mignon.

12/02/2008 1:32 PM  
Blogger meno said...

I'm sorry too.

12/02/2008 3:54 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

saying I'm sorry feels so totally inadequate, but it's all I got.

I'm sorry.

12/02/2008 7:14 PM  
Blogger Never That Easy said...

Hug them. It's what they'll need too.

I'm sorry.

12/03/2008 6:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you. And I'm sorry.

12/03/2008 7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's my wishes too. Take care.

12/03/2008 12:09 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

I want to hug kids too when I get bad news.

I'm sorry. I hope everything is okay.

12/03/2008 1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many things came to mind when I read this. Wish I could help. Peace to you.

12/04/2008 6:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, this is exactly what it's like. I remember walking around with bad news in my gut and marveling as I moved through my day and ventured out into the world that no one could see that my life had changed, was coming apart. I looked the same and was forever altered. I was in gut-wrenching pain and NO ONE KNEW.

Thinking of you and your burden...

12/04/2008 7:45 PM  
Blogger Nance said...

Crap. There's nothing I can say. I'm very sorry.

12/06/2008 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home