Friday, October 13, 2006

Friday Concoction

First off, thanks to Nancy for nominating one of the Friday Concoctions for a ROFL Award. As I commented on her site, I enjoy writing funny, but it's difficult to make it original. There's so much funny stuff out there, half the time I can't remember whether my stuff is original or not. And with that, I give free license to call me on something I've said that was blatantly lifted from elsewhere. So thanks, Nance! I appreciate being recognized for doing something well that doesn't involve kicking, calculating, or diapering (my other previous areas of dubious distinction). And that code you sent for the button thingy - do I just put it right in here... ROFL button ... hmm looks okay... I feel like I'm straightening a picture, but standing too close and therefore don't have perspective on whether it's straight or not... which I guess is how I feel a lot of the time, actually...

Which brings me to my last post and my aborted thoughts on staying home and being bored and blogging and arguing with the spousal unit about boredom, blogging and bedbathandbeyond... LetterB had this to say, which I promptly memorized and spewed word for word to my confused husband as he was trying to help Madeleine put on her inside-out-and-backwards pajamas:
I wish you had kept going too. It's not boring, it's what so many of us struggle with. What makes me so happy about blogging is that I am able to hang onto a scrap of my identity as a writer. I might be cleaning mac'n cheese off the wall, i might be reading the goddamn Fire Engines book for the 50th time, i might be eating my lunch in the shower but i know at some point I'll be able to sit down and write something about it. To be able to record and comment and shape my wee existence into a little bit of art is incredibly important to me. (That people actually read what I write and respond is the icing on the cake). I also really love being able to read what other people have to say about their experiences on their blogs because it expands my perspective on life and momdom and can be a wonderful release (especially when reading a talented and funny writer like you). I guess what I mean to say is that you will have to pry my laptop from my cold, dead hands, motherf*ckers. Ahem.

And then he said, "I don't want to take your laptop away! ??" and I said, "No, that's not, no, why didn't you, huh? Did you hear all the other stuff before that?" And then I went and took two Dramamine because I felt a tinge of nausea and then I passed out on the couch and dreamed of mice and oil tanker car wrecks and my friend Janet's baby being lost at a flea market until Pooey padded into the living room at 2 am and patted me on my face, thus giving notice it was time to come to bed. And this morning, which part do I remember most vividly? The mouse crawling from beneath a wrecked oil tanker.

Notice, I have now officially submitted two writing pieces.

Does Dramamine stay in your system for over 16 hours? I feel fucking weird. Like my eyeballs are too big.

Song of the day: Looking at the World from the Bottom of Well, Mike Doughty (or, also entitled Trying to Straighten a Painting as You Stand Inside It...)

12 Comments:

Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Dramamine? Was the sofa on water? Was it flying? Why did you take that?

Amen to the speech. Writing anything means that there is more to me than laundry, carpooling and providing food.

10/13/2006 12:33 PM  
Blogger meno said...

congratulations on the award! And on submitting 2 pieces.
A comment on the last post. Being a SAHM was the most boring thing i have ever done. For three long years. It's just not my thing. So i get it. Had there been blogs at that time, i'm sure that i would have gotten into them. I wish there had been. It was lonely.

10/13/2006 2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always feel like my eyeballs are too big. And I generally have very odd dreams. But I haven't taken any dramamine -- hmm.

Congrats on the writing pieces. You are one crazy talented lady.

10/13/2006 3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

submitting. sigh. good for you but now i feel bad. becuase i haven't submitted anything in - let me think - 6 years. SIGH.

but congrats to you. am very proud.

10/13/2006 4:20 PM  
Blogger Ortizzle said...

When my sister became a SAHM, she was determined to make the sacrifice of giving up a job for a few years to be able to devote herself entirely to the kids until they reached school age. Those were the critical years of formation, and something you could never get back later on. That was her reasoning then, and I don't think she ever regretted it. That notwithstanding, after a couple of years she began to lament that she would maybe, uh, like to spend a few hours a day not talking in just monosyllables. To do something grown up with people who spoke grown up language and, if even only vaguely, recognized that you had a ticking brain in your head. And gave you some feedback. My sister is not a writer, mind you, and this was way before Internet, to say nothing of blogs, but she might have found some respite in writing a blog.

For a person like you who really does have a vocation as a writer, blogging is even more essential to your sense of self worth. As Nancy put it so well, you are "one crazy talented lady." Your blog, and hence your writing, wherever it is destined, is your lifeblood. And there has to be a way to make it compatible with kid-time and hubby-time. For everyone's sake.

I feel certain that it will all work out. As certain as I feel that every time I hop over to your blog I am going to read something that will make me snicker, or sigh, or say to myself, "Now there's a soul who is definitely on the same page as me." Most of the time, all three things. Regardless, I am always entertained. Keep on truckin' and keep on bloggin' ...

10/13/2006 6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! Did not expect to see my comment. I was just thinking on clicking over about what a commenting windbag I can be sometimes. I mean, who am i to leave manifestoes all over the place? Glad you liked it.

Good luck with the submissions. You are very brave to do it but even braver to share the process with us. Gulp.

10/13/2006 7:02 PM  
Blogger Imez said...

Are you gonna try that conversation with your husband again?

So, who is the mouse and who is the wrecked oil tanker? I hope you're the mouse. He comes out okay.

10/14/2006 9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just spent a bunch of time over at Mommy off the record, via your ROFL linky dink. She had a recent post about her husband, who knows that she blogs but doesn't read it (much). Why am I bringing this up? Because it's something you and I have in common. I could have commented there (I should even) but because I found it through you I just wanted to thank you for showing it to me. My wife does know I do this, we've worked out the issues (I hope), but she doesn't read it. Maybe that's OK. Maybe I should be doing the stuff that gets submitted. Like you've just done. Maybe that's what she would read.
Pardon my rambling. Glad the "ankle" comment gave you a lift. Ankles are a sure sign of hotness. Yours was smokin.
Blindness? Per your own standard (i.e., how long do you think about it-which is the same as mine, btw) I guess I'm kinda "meh." I read it in a few days, so I guess you could say I "couldn't put it down," but honestly, it's not staying in the old brain. I didn't have any trouble with the prose. The depravity doesn't bother me (go read my latest fff post). You know I can deal with XXX. It was just a poor comparison to my favorite author, Cormac McCarthy, I guess.
That's not to say I don't think I could EVER do anything close.
Nice talking at you.

10/14/2006 8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is my personal opinion that Dramamine can fuck you up more than a tab of acid. Truly.

10/16/2006 6:54 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

LMFAO. "I feel fucking weird. Like my eyeballs are too big."

All I can think about is you stumbling around with these HUGE eyes going, "Seriously, I'm NOT staring at you. I can't stop looking."

10/16/2006 1:34 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

I totally love this Mike Doughty tune!

10/16/2006 6:01 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Congratulations, Mignon! You totally deserve this award.

10/17/2006 5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home