Monday, September 18, 2006

Decompressing...

Got back from the R-Up yesterday. Jim took a shower, piled several boxes and torn paper bags of crap on the counters and floor (exclaiming at the time "how easy it was to unpack!"), and then hopped in the car for a 6-hour drive to hunting camp. Madeleine stayed in Pendleton an extra day with Granny, so Quinn and I have been busily cleaning, washing clothes and putting away food etc. Or not. I drank a Bridgeport and he made sure all of the bags of crap were equally scattered around the living room. Round-Up was a measured success, by which I mean there was much Let'ErBucking, toasting, eating, dancing, laughing and yelling. Yelling across the Rainbow for another Bloody Mary, yelling above the whine of the Tilt-O-Whirl for cousin Owen to help Madeleine get in the Octopus, yelling for the red team in the Indian Horse Races, and yelling Let 'Er Buck just whenever.

I've made three attempts at encapsulating the event in tidy sentences and paragraphs, and each attempt was worse than the previous. This is all I got: it's a yearly gathering at my nearly-90 grandfather's house for my family and friends and 50,000 other people that happen to like fun stuff. In addition, this year's festivities included an early birthday party for Grampa DaDa at the Elk's Club, replete with a slide show presented by one brother, a bizarre but not unusual performance in drag by my other two brothers, and a song written for DaDa, sung by all in attendance, accompanied by my mom on fiddle, brother on ukelele, and step-pa Jan and friends Scott and Max on guitar.

If you weren't in Pendleton this year, I'm sorry. You would've liked it but would be cursing right now as you tried to get the slivers out of your ass and the Let'Er Buck Room stickers off your boobs. If you were there and you're reading this, you're welcome to comment with your favorite moment. Mine was during the slideshow at DaDa's party, a picture popped up of him dressed in all white with my Grandma in some kind of witch's outfit. When he was asked in front of the group what his interesting costume was supposed to be, he responded, "Well, I got into that ladies pants..." at which point the laughter drowned out the rest of the explanation.

Here are a couple shots, and the rest are on Flickr... have at it.... orrrr, not... fucking Blogger. Anyway here's the link to the photos. I'll try to put some up here sometime when I've got nothing else to do and lots of free time in front of me...

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute pictures. Reminds me of Cheyenne, Wyoming...just a little.

9/18/2006 8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was mentioning how different the countryside was in East and West Oregon to a group of German coworkers and one told me of how they had accidentally booked a hotel in a town when there was a really big, crazy rodeo going on. Although it was totally unanticipated, afteward it was clearly the high point of their vacation to the US Pac NW.

My question: was this in Pendleton at the Round Up?

Yes... that was the name of the town. It was great.

9/18/2006 10:17 PM  
Blogger Louise said...

Great photos- looks like a blast!

9/18/2006 11:36 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

I was born in Pendleton. Wish I could remember what it was like. I lived there and in Portland. My parents tell me it was gorgeous. And the pony penning thing was really cool. I guess I need to go find my roots and experience it for myself!

I am moving in like 3 weeks and DREADING IT.

9/19/2006 4:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god. No wonder you need to decompress. Carny rides, bull penis, pet rats and a family hee-haw band? Dude that looked like a freaking aweseome weekend!

9/19/2006 5:37 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Those photos made me happy. What a wonderful weekend! And your family and friends are a really attractive crew!

9/19/2006 8:44 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

>>"Well, I got into that ladies pants..." at which point the laughter drowned out the rest of the explanation.<<

Quick comeback!!

LOVE the recap and the pictures.

9/19/2006 12:35 PM  
Blogger Imez said...

OH my GOD I wish I was part of your family. Mom on fiddle...ukelele...drag and slides and yelling and octupusses...

Damn you, write an entry about how to have a pretty damn good life. Seriously, that is the title. Don't worry about "yay I'm so super!' vibes. Just put it out there. For posterity. For SMUDGE!

9/19/2006 3:37 PM  
Blogger meno said...

Damn, it looks like y'all know how to have a party. Great pictures.

9/19/2006 4:47 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

will someone please tell me why everyone else but me got the crassly funny-as-shit relatives? mine always sat around at the pianer, singin' old hymns. with really warbly vabrado.

sigh.

I wanna be your cousin for a sec, just so's I can have your funny, interesting, wacky family. well, okay. for a day.

alright. make it a week and a half.

but I will totally balk at a thousand years.

9/19/2006 8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot get OVER how cute your little guy is. Seriously.

9/20/2006 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home