Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Writin Wednesday

Thank you all for the very kind words after my last manipulative post. I admit I will be reading your comments repeatedly whenever I'm feeling down on myself - maybe this will keep me from posting any more pity parties? Let's hope so. I felt so Anthony-Michael-Hall-in-Sixteen-Candles desperate (remember the part when he mounted Molly Ringwald in the broken-down car in the shop room?).

I've been squeaking in a few minutes here and there to freshen up a story I wrote a couple years ago, so here's the revised first bit of Cherry.


Cherry, Part I

I tell Ron I need my purse, my nail file. He waves at me to be quiet, I am interrupting Matlock. I walk out into the rain and around the back of the motel to where he’d parked an hour ago. From across the parking lot, I can see our big white pickup, alone – by itself. The cable that provided power to the trailer rests on the ground below the hitch, and the silver ball shines in the street light. My stomach knots. Now I have to go tell Ron the car is gone, but first I unlock the passenger door and retrieve my bulging purse. The rain blows into the side of the truck, slamming the door shut after I step down.

I tell him, when I get back in the room, and I try to sound sad, but he doesn’t notice if my voice shakes or I don’t look suitably shocked. He just rushes out the door in his underwear, pushing me out of the way. When he comes back he’s irate and immediately calls the police, shouting at them. Demanding. Then we wait.

He is sitting on the bed, his head in is hands, talking to himself about how to get it back. He tells me to refill his water and fetch his cigarettes. He looks at me as I hand him his lighter and he’s been crying. He asks me why this happened, what he can do to get it back, but I just shake my head. My suitcase is still packed, sitting on the little table by the door. I’m set to go. To leave him. For the last 25 of our 33 years together I’ve been just another spare part. Like those ugly little tires you’re forced to use when you get a flat. My son has a family of his own, my mom’s gone, and Ron is Ron. But maybe I should start over with this thing. I don’t want to give the wrong impression about what I’ve done. I’m not a cruel person, but I was deceived. I had to do something. That’s what it was, an act of self-preservation. Who can argue with that? I won’t let Ron take all the blame, but I will explain why I had to hire a man to steal my husband’s one true love.


Some other stuff...
Have you ever seen a movie that disturbs you so much you never want to see it again, but realize deep down it is a truly amazing work? (Somehow Sixteen Candles made me think of this, although I can't say I was particularly disturbed by Anthony Michael Hall - maybe it was his headgear?) Here are my few:

Requiem for a Dream - The climactic scene is over-the-top amazing, but something I never want to see or think of again.
Chuck and Buck - Whoa. How nasty is Mike White? Nasty and smart, I guess. Kinda like all the boys that used to ask me to dance in high school.
Trainspotting - Some HaHa parts, but really just mostly stomach-turning.
Thirteen - SO scared of 8th graders, all of a sudden.
River's Edge - Is this disturbing because of the dead-faced appearance of Keanu Reeves or the mere fact that it featured both Dennis Hopper AND Crispin Glover. I remember looking in my lap at some point in the movie, saying, Whoa, what in the HELL is in this popcorn?

What are yours?

17 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

For me, Chuck and Buck was just a godawful hot mess, and I was flat out amazed that it had been on so many top ten lists.

I loved Trainspotting, though, and the book was even grosser.

How about, for camp value, Suspiria? It freaked me out, and I never want to see it again, but it was pretty neat (and disturbing).

I found Sexy Beast to be kind of freaky, too, but I've watched it a few times, mostly because I would watch Ben Kingsley read the phone book.

6/21/2006 11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mignon, I hate to say stuff to you that I've already said before, but your writing is so vivid. I mean, I was right there with her in the truck, with the rain and her bulging purse. You just make it so easy to picture the scenes unfolding.

Movies. Requiem for a Dream is definitely one of mine, too. Crash was like that for me too, and so was Mississippi Burning and The Pianist.

6/21/2006 11:38 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

I HATE Open Water. It's not even that remarkable of a movie. It's just... disturbing.

Beautiful start to your story, as usual. You never disappoint me. I'm hooked already. So... What happens next?

6/21/2006 12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well written and it's obvious that this is not a first draft as it lacks first draft extranious material. great job.

for me, silence of the lambs was painful. i only saw it once and it still bothers me. i think sometimes i should see it again because i bet it's lame. thing is, i don't think i can. that movie disturbed me deeply.

6/21/2006 4:43 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Totally with ya on thirteen- that completely freaked me out. I loved trainspotting though (both book and movie).

6/21/2006 5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why did she do it? Can't wait to hear part 2.

6/21/2006 5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Santa Sangre is the most disturbing thing I have ever seen but I highly recommend it...

6/22/2006 9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, more story!

I am a total wimp - i can't watch the "Shining" all the way through anymore but of course I would tell someone else to watch it if they'd never seen it. It is an amazing horror movie. "28 Days Later" is kind of like that for me too.

6/22/2006 9:27 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I don't think there has ever been a movie that I have seen that I vowed to Never watch again, sheerly for disturbance factor.

Poorly acted? Yes.

6/22/2006 10:33 AM  
Blogger Jaye Wells said...

Beaches. Not cause it's deep or anything, just because it makes me cry like a loon. I have a complete mental breakdown.

6/22/2006 1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story. I hope there's a new installment for next Wed.

I'm with you on Trainspotting. Jeff and I were just talking about it the other day because he's never seen it and although I think he should watch it, I don't want to see it again.

For me, it's another Dennis Hopper movie - Paris Trout. Sick.
Also can't watch Amistad even though is is phenomenal.

6/22/2006 3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1973 Walking Tall with Christopher Walken--for violence against women and children. walked out of the theater about half way.

Camille Claudel because I couldn't quit crying. It's a good movie to cleanse your tear ducts.

Deliverance. Gross. Disgusting.

All oldies.

6/22/2006 7:04 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

you nailed two of mine; I was thinking Requiem before you even got to the list, and for the record, I still want to scrub my brain with steel wool when I think of any bit of that film. Trainspotting I actually had to *force* myself to sit through, and didn't make it all the way. I had to keep fast-forwarding. ergh. that scene with the people in the GROSS apartment, and there's a baby, belonging to the junkie mother, just made me so horrified.

I haven't seen the other ones, b/c I don't have the stomach for 'em. I'll never watch House of Sand and Fog again, not for any kind of money (and I didn't even pay the first time; I'd gotten swag passes. *shudder*).

6/23/2006 10:40 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

oh! and, duh. I can't wait for the next installment. btw, I was kinda messin' around with the idea of starting a story post thing, where a bunch of people do it on a certain day. wuddya think?

'cause I loves me some good writin'. and you give it up good, sister.

6/23/2006 10:43 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Geez girl, it's like you're reading my mind! Every single one of those gave me the heebie jeebies. And yet intrigued me. (I thought I was the only one to see Chuck and Buck especially!)

6/26/2006 4:17 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Schindler's List

I saw after I saw it in the movie theatre I would never watch it again.

7/05/2006 8:56 AM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Great beginning for a story! My only change would be to add the dialogue as real dialogue. That would put us there.

I wondered right away why her purse was bulging....you have me hooked now. Great start!

7/06/2006 5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home