Wednesday, June 07, 2006

I've got good news, so why am I reading about dead people?

I'm still in a little funk/euphoric daze from last weekend's trip, so I'm not sure if this happened or not, but I think we bought a house. Yes, I'm pretty sure, but, well, you know, there's something dreamlike about it... It's this one:


Can you see why I'm hesitant to confirm? Because it's straight up dreamy! Here's how it went down: I looked at this house a couple weeks ago during an open house. I was on my own and ran through it, almost covering my eyes because of the glaring awesomeness. I came home, sobbing at the injustice that we wouldn't be able to afford this beauty. I felt like Tom Green when Drew Barrymore walked out. Jim and I didn't even discuss it, beyond a few luscious details and we continued looking at our affordable sucky meth labs situated along freeways. (Oh look, honey, there's no dry rot in this one, at least! Hey Mommy, the cat pee smell isn't quite as strong in this one!) So Monday, after another quick walk-though of a moldy 1-bedroom hut carpeted in Astro-turf, our realtor asked us if we'd like to look through a house a little out of our range, for comparison purposes. We shrugged and said sure, shaking the bat dung out of our hair from the last place. Jim said he'd have to call his brother and his wife because he was supposed to meet with them at the time. I suggested they come and take a look at the house, because they like home shopping as much as I do, so we all converged upon Her. I'm calling it Her because the Venus de Milo was a woman and also perfect. I shuddered a home-hunters orgasm when we pulled up front, but also felt the sinking, starving feeling of a panhandler without a clever signboard.

I'm getting a little bored with this drawn out explanation, so here's the gist: we looked through Her, in-laws gushed and said we should step up and do it, I said HA HA - huh? that doesn't make sense because we can't afford this and it would be like stepping up into quicksand, Jim went back to work with his brother (who is also his employer), Jim called me 5 minutes later and says his brother gave him a raise for the amount we needed to be able to afford the house. Thirty minutes later we're signing the offer and one day later it's under contract. To us. To US!

And today, after I post this, I'll be running around this hell-hole (remember? Jim was home with the kids for nearly four days? the garbage disposal hasn't been run in a week and something reached out of it and stole my toast this morning), trying to prepare to put it up for sale on Monday. I have absolutely no right to say anything negative about my current situation (look again up at that picture - I know, right?), but WAAAAAAAA. There's so much to do that I spent this morning reading the obituaries to cheer myself up. Do you want to poke a sharp stick in my eye? I do. Then maybe I wouldn't have to box up the standing army of ugly vases that have collected above our cabinets...

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! And I fully support your kvetching because the entire process from contract to move in is hellish on the nerves. Good luck!

6/07/2006 10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god. Is that the house you linked to a few weeks ago? Congratulations!!!
Holy shit, it seems like the entire internet is picking up and moving. How about you come help me and I'll come help you? We like to drink copious amounts of alcohol while we move; it eases the pain.

6/07/2006 4:35 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Holy shit is right. And baby, that is karma, pure and simple. Sometimes it just all happens.

And yes, that is a YUMMY house.

6/07/2006 5:02 PM  
Blogger Mitch said...

WOW! Congratulations! That house is so cute! It just needs some pastels and a rounded roof to be a Kincade.

As for moving, don't envy you there, I've done it something like 10 times in the psat 5 years. I'm digging in and staying here for a while!

Glad you found waht you want & need & were given the means to get it!

6/07/2006 7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so wait. let me get this straight. you went under contract on a new home BEFORE selling the one you are in?? good times!!

dood. that house looks awesome. way to go mignon!

i especially love the deck over the garage. SAHWEEEEEEEET!

congrats woman!

6/07/2006 8:25 PM  
Blogger Jess Riley said...

Mignon, that house is fantastic!!! Oh my god, I want to move in and live there, too! How exciting. Congratulations!

We were flirting with the idea of moving recently but instead opted to dig in and remodel the crap out of our current home. I hope it's worth it.

6/07/2006 9:44 PM  
Blogger Rock said...

The absolute best thing in real estate is to step up and do it - that's value. That's what I did in expensive LA but it was the most unbelievable right move. Congrats big time.

It's like anything else - you just have to for for it.

6/08/2006 1:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it! The color, the style, the happy serene vibe. The brave little tree standing with perfect posture in the front yard is perfect. Many happy returns!

6/08/2006 3:47 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Oh it is absolutely gorgeous! I'm excited for you and I don't even know you! I hope all goes well. My aunt and uncle used to have a deck over the garage at their house and it was THE best hangout when I was little. Hope your current digs sell soon!

6/08/2006 4:48 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

What a beautiful house! You've had quite a week!

I love house-finding stories. They are invariably unique. I'm so happy that it worked out for you!

6/08/2006 6:28 AM  
Blogger Well-heeled mom said...

It looks like a beautiful house, on a beautiful day in Missoula.

Congratulations from another Montanan who cannot afford to upgrade in our crazy housing market.

6/08/2006 10:51 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

Oh my God! That's fantastic news Mignon!! And what a gorgeous house.

This line: "Jim called me 5 minutes later and says his brother gave him a raise for the amount we needed to be able to afford the house." totally melted my heart.

I'm putting my house on the market Monday too. Here's to hoping they both sell quickly and for more than they're worth. hehe

6/08/2006 1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haiku High Fives from across the pond

Such a cool casa.
Who should come by such a crib?
Surely you are blessed.

6/08/2006 11:11 PM  
Blogger Orange said...

Congratulations!

6/10/2006 9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, the house is GORGEOUS! I aspire to live in a bungalow one of these days -- I absolutely love them.

Congrats on the new house, Jim's raise -- all of it!

6/11/2006 6:13 AM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

It is beautiful! I am jealous and happy for you all at once. I love houses like this...good for you guys.

6/19/2006 8:28 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

holy christ, but that's a gem of a house. I mean, but a real DIAMOND. wow. do you have to change your pants on a regular basis b/c of the -- well, you know?

I mean it. do you? 'cause I would.

nice work, there. :)

p.s. oy. you have to move, now. argh. and good luck with house sellin'. another argh. but at the end of that rude rainbow? pure effing gold, baby. that is a dream house, fer sure.

6/23/2006 9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home