Monday, February 27, 2006

We're all atwitter up in here. Or maybe it's just me.

Today after school Madeleine's best friend, Will, is coming over to play. Will professed his undying love for Madeleine a couple months ago, and since the she's dropped her friend Claire like a hot tater and now it's all Will, all the time (Claire didn't seem to mind, thank god). To be sure, he is a little cutie and his mom's an obgyn and his dad's an anesthesiologist (score!). He also has two older sisters, which means he's down with the pretending to be ponies or playing house. And thus far we've completely avoided EVER using the word 'boyfriend.' Even though Will tells me every time I drop Madeleine off at preschool that he's going to marry her we have made sure she knows there's nothing giggly-snicker-snicker strange about her best friend being a boy. I had several friends that were boys when I was really young, and I don't remember being made to feel embarrassed or being teased about it by my family (wait - that can't be right - I was teased about everything! hmm, maybe that teasing just got lost in the shuffle.) Madeleine has already drawn up a list of the 5 things they are going to do when Will gets here, including "plaing lagos, bilding forets, pretending Im u mom and Wills u dad, and plaing wooth woogrs [Quinn]."

So then why did I find myself madly cleaning house this morning in anticipation of Will's arrival? I'll have to ponder that more later. I need to go finish the souffle and fix my make-up.

9 Comments:

Blogger Tink said...

Aw. That's so sweet. "Pretending Im u mom and Wills u dad." I just want to eat her up. :)

2/27/2006 11:00 AM  
Blogger V said...

I'm guessing it's the mom and dad part! Little A had a best friend when she was 3-5 who was a boy. He would hug and kiss her everyday upon arrival and departure at preschool. All they EVER did was pretend to go to Gramma and Grampa's house.....I'm guessing you don't have to watch them TOO neurotically!

2/27/2006 11:07 AM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

I do that too. Oddly enough, I'm more likely to clean if girls are coming over...I figure boys just notice less.

2/27/2006 11:28 AM  
Blogger Jess Riley said...

Too cute! I hope her stomach is feeling better...

2/27/2006 12:22 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

My middle one had a girl who was a friend (he did insist that he would marry her someday)when he was 4. He asked for a EZ Bake Oven for his birthday because he wanted us to have something for girls to play with so she wouldn't be bored when she came over.

And, yes, I too clean for the friends. Anymore they are all boys and could care less but its a compulsion.

2/27/2006 12:26 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

This is incredibly sweet.

2/27/2006 5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, I want to hear how the play date went. Sounds like they are such cute friends.

2/28/2006 5:42 AM  
Blogger Orange said...

My best friend around age 4 and 5 was a boy, too. We were so close, we'd even go to the bathroom together.

2/28/2006 1:25 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

I think they are so cute at that age, but I draw the line at boyfriend/girlfriend...I am just not ready to let go yet....

2/28/2006 3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home