Monday, February 20, 2006

Back from Big Sky. In one large piece.

We got back today at 2:30. By the time we pulled in the driveway Quinn was alternately screeching, crying YaYa and wanging Madeleine's headphones against the side of his head while Madeleine was whining and imitating Quinn. Jim was fuming and threatening to twist ears while I was taking pictures of everyone in their various stages of complete meltdown. Okay, I'm not telling the story right. It was a very good trip, but that's not very interesting, is it? You can't open a post after a four-day absence with "I had a nice trip and boy am I tired but happy from my really nice vacation with my nice family."

Here are a couple things that weren't scheduled: it was 30 degrees below zero until noon on Thursday and Friday, why do hotels use those weird polyester blankets that are like fleeced styrofoam and not warm?, a random drunk guy was let into our room in the middle of the night by an obliging bell-hop, is it written somewhere that you can only use hot tubs if you're a swimsuit model because I didn't get that memo?, and why did that boardercross girl try to grab her board when she was 40 yards from a gold medal and then make up some story about trying to stabilize herself? Here's a short summary of all that went well: the snow was perfect, mountains were beautiful, kids were mostly good, the hot tub was hot and wet ("which is nice if you're with a lady, but it ain't no good in the jungle") and steamy enough to hide my pouchy mom butt. I'll put up some pictures tomorrow - I'm trying to limit my time now that Jim's home pacing around with a stopwatch behind me. Metaphorically, at least.

I missed all of you while we were gone. Thanks for the well-wishes... The winner of the funniest 10-year-old crush was teebs with Almanzo from Little House on the Prairie. Because I thought she meant Albert - the one with the fat lip. But on further inspection and googling, TB is in fact correct. Almanzo was a hottie.

15 Comments:

Blogger Arabella said...

Welcome back, Mignon! We missed you!

I didn't get the hot tub memo either, until I went on vacation last spring and there was a women-only spa in my hotel in Las Vegas. Since it was women-only, swimsuits weren't needed, and there were pencil-thin naked women in there, which led me just to roll up my sweatpants, sit on the edge, and dangle my feet in the water; I was NOT going commando with five women who looked like Kate Moss's younger sisters.

I'm glad the kids were pretty cooperative on your trip.

2/20/2006 5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I cannot wait to see the pictures - especially the cranky ones.
And yay for me and Almanzo who unbeknownst to him, had a very torrid PG affair with my 11 year old self involving open-mouthed kissing while I wore a bonnet and lace-up boots.

Whatever happened to that dude anyway?

2/20/2006 5:25 PM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

My 11-year-old crush was Harrison Ford (AKA Han Solo). I always did go for the older guys. In my dreams I always had braided buns on the sides of my head during the open-mouthed kisses. Yeah, I know Princess Leia had plain buns, but I could never get mine to stay up without the braids.

Welcome back!

2/20/2006 7:01 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I now only bathe in pools and lakes with other mothers. No one looks at your less than toned thighs.

I always want to yell after the Sticks "Enjoy it now Honey - Cause it won't last!!!"

2/21/2006 7:19 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

Wait, they let a drunk guy into your room in the middle of the night? Ok that would have been disasterous for me. There would have been screaming and throwing of once bolted down fixtures. Fear makes people stronger, didn't you hear?

I'm glad you had fun and I'm glad you're back. I missed ya.

2/21/2006 9:00 AM  
Blogger Jess Riley said...

Albert--the one with the fat lip...LMAO!!! I forgot about that!

Sounds like a fun trip. And WTF is with them letting some random drunk guy in your room?!?!

2/21/2006 9:27 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

What the hell is up with those hotel blankets? I've always wondered about that.

2/21/2006 10:25 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

The drunk guy was actually from the room above us. I think there were 10 or 30 guys staying in that room and they were all doing the running man with ski boots all night. At some point, one guy left to go get something to eat, then forgot his key and the nice Chilean bellboy let him into our room. Jim jumped out of bed in his tighty-whities and said "What the hell are you doing?" as the guy was going in our bathroom to take a leak. The guy says, "Don't worry dude it's just me," and Jim says, "Well I don't know who the fuck you are just get out." At that point the guy realized what happened and was apologetic, but in the meantime Madeleine and Quinn had both woken up and were alternately crying and calling Mommy!
And yay! We got an upgrade to a room on the 2nd floor instead of the 3rd. Go ahead, snort. I did.

2/21/2006 12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea, great trip! Love that you see the humor in the world. Glad you're back.

2/21/2006 5:34 PM  
Blogger Feral Mom said...

My friend always insisted that I play the role of Albert when we acted out Little House on the Prairie--she was Laura. Things that make you go hmmmmm, in retrospect. Now I am wondering if my lip looks fat. De-lurking to say welcome back! And Almanzo's much much hotter (and has better hair) than I remembered...

2/21/2006 6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw you on Dr. Mama saying Paul Theroux is kind of an ass and I just wanted to say I really love his books but you can totally tell by reading him that he is kind of an ass.

I was in to James Dean at 11. I always thought Kahil Gibran was cute from the back of "The Prophet." I had a crush on Mozart. I seemed to have a thing about getting crushes on those long dead but we did not have a TV.

2/22/2006 1:09 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Mignon, I know you have four mountains of laundry (one for each body in your house) and all your return-home stuff to attend to, but I just wanted to tell you that I'm going through Mignon withdrawal and really hope you post more soon. :)

2/22/2006 9:12 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Arabella, that makes me feel very happy. Thank you.

2/22/2006 9:58 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

You're welcome! It's the truth.

2/22/2006 10:36 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Welcome home! We missed you! And other sentences ending in exclamation points!

2/22/2006 8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home