Thursday, February 09, 2006

My One Year Blog Anniversary

I have a sick baby and I had chest x-rays today (nothing serious, will report details later), and I just realized it's my One Year Blogging Anniversary. Here's my very first post...

Should the news always make us depressed?

An unofficial tally from today's rag: 34 dead people, 3 raped boys, House and Senate at state and federal level continue with partisan bickering, 1 dog killed by a trapper and 1 alien abduction. That was section A. Then my 3-yr-old asks me to read her the comics and they're not funny. Not to me or her, although she gives me an obligatory laugh at Mutts because "puppies are always funny, right?" Yeah, just not in the newspaper. I read once that Brooke Shields' favorite comic was Mutts (we all remember bizarre factoids about the richnfamous - why?), and I read it daily. So far, 3 years and not even a chuckle. Depressing thing #5 about the newspaper.

So I get my kicks on the editorials, which never fail to flummox, befuddle and amuse. Especially with respect to aforementioned alien abduction and Pat Robertson-wannabe zombies spouting scripture as "reason". I like Geese Aplenty's vision of "who's right" in the religion debate (from 1/27). Today I'm going with Buddhists, in honor of the Chinese New Year. Yeah!! The year of the cock!


So would you have kept reading back then?

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You had me at "hello", Mignon.

2/09/2006 5:36 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Yup.

2/09/2006 6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Bloggiversary! Letterb already took the best line, but I second that emotion.

2/09/2006 6:04 PM  
Blogger Jaye Wells said...

You had me at "Year of the Cock."

2/09/2006 6:38 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

Sure thing. I cry at the news all the time and I wonder why it has to be sad to be labeled as news.

2/09/2006 7:58 PM  
Blogger Jaye Wells said...

BTW, the coverage I saw tonight of the Entwhistle case was enough to make me swear off the news forever. In fact, it's almost enough to make me want to move to a mountain somewhere as far away from other humans as I can get.

2/09/2006 8:14 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Thanks you guys!

Jaye, my level of bad-news denial is so great that I don't know what you're talking about, and I refuse to google it to find out. That way I can continue to dream about Burt Reynolds and a big screen tv in my microwave instead of something disturbing. Or maybe I should say more disturbing...

2/09/2006 8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did continue to read...

Happy Anniversary!

I am concerned that the USA is becoming more and more of a fundamentalist-fascist state, and keep up with the bad news as much as possible. It is alternately enraging and depressing, but I keep going back. Maybe it's like looking at a transport wreck?

2/09/2006 10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're One! Congratulations. I'm so glad I found you, even if I was a little late to the game.

2/10/2006 4:27 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Happy Anniversary!

I'm worried about the chest x-rays....feel better, OK?

2/10/2006 6:27 AM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

Happy Anniversary! A year ago "blog" to me was the noise the cat made when coughing up a hairball. If I'd been a blogger back then, though, I definately would have kept reading!

2/10/2006 8:22 AM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Please let us know if you are okay...of course, I would have kept reading. Unfortunately, I didn't find you until a few months ago. Now you are like crack to me.

2/10/2006 8:38 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

Happy Blogaversary!! I would have still read it. But I like that you're more open now. There would have been cuss words if it were written today. :)

2/10/2006 8:43 AM  
Blogger Orange said...

The problem is not that Brooke Shields liked/likes Mutts. (Hey! I remember that factoid too!) The problem is that Get Fuzzy wins awards and is not only resolutely unfunny, it's not even occasionally quasi-sweet like Mutts.

2/11/2006 9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy belated blogbirthday! I'm proud to share it with you!

2/11/2006 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home