Monday, September 04, 2006

Sad Weekend

Jim and Madeleine went to his parents' remote cabin for three days and Pooey and I were left to kick it on our own. We were both lonely, and I found the little guy in Madeleine's room several times with his head resting on her bed. I admit to smelling her pillow a couple times at night, when it was quiet and dark. Our big bed is so cold without Jim, I felt like I needed socks and sweats. In fact several things added to a melancholy Labor Day...

- I watched Tsotsi Friday night. It was very moving and I bawled at the ending, but don't let this scare you away. It was just powerful and a little overwhelming. I'm impressed with the way a South African-made film portrays the ghetto around Johannesburg. An American filmmaker would undoubtedly dwell in the poverty and injustice inherent in their community, whereas that part of the movie was secondary, if even a part of the story at all. As a backdrop, it added a somber and gritty tone, but wasn't distracting, as it very well could have been. And the music was amazing (check out "Bhambatha"). I highly recommend it.

- I saw this Sunday night, which also made me cry a little (even though I'd just been to see Little Miss Sunshine, which made me wet my pants a little). Steve Irwin, while irritating and over-the-top, started the wave of fast-food nature shows. Everyone in America knew what Crikey! meant and also knew a little more about crocs and koalas, and despite the irritation factor, he drew the attention of our self-absorbed country to other parts of the world and the value and intrigue of all animals. And he had two young children and wife. I'm more than a little sorry he's gone.

- Then I read this Monday afternoon (I missed the original confession - must not have been front-page news for the Missoulian). I'm afraid to read his autobiography, after enjoying and studying his writing for the last 10 years. I just don't want to know what he's done. But I do. But I don't. But I should. All of our books are packed up in the storage unit, or else I'd pull out The Tin Drum to see if he really was blowing smoke up our collective asses.

- And, finally, no. The old smelly people did not buy our house. Perhaps we should empty the mousetraps and put away the meth lab before the next showing. Old people can be so finicky sometimes.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, that's so sweet that Pooey missed his sister. I wonder if my little one would notice if her big sis was gone?

Thanks for the movie recs. I haven't seen a new movie in about 3 years (sad, isn't it?) -- guess I should make an effort.

9/06/2006 6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Old People,

You blew it. You could have bought a house with some great karma. There's nothing better than living in a house recently vacated by a loving family with a couple of kids who look as sweet as sugar cookies. But no...you'd rather live in a stale retirement center with sticky floors glazed over with god-knows-what and infested with the perpetual smell of cabbage, iron pills and Lysol. It's your loss, and every time another old person runs over your arthritic foot with their wheelchair on the way to the dining hall to play Bingo, you'll be reminded of that. Hope you handle regret well.

Wordgirl

9/06/2006 6:59 AM  
Blogger Imez said...

All that sad stuff you wrote and I still want to shout, "Ooo! Little Miss Sunshine! Great movie!!" Best comedy movie climax in all history. I'm pretty sure Smudge is going to be just like Olive.

Half your family is gone. It's good to have daddy/daughter time, though. I still remember all the time I spent alone with my Dad.

Rock and I are trying to decide if death by sting ray is a good way to go. Rock says there are no good ways. But...I don't know. Quick, no dread or hospital, and...well, god forgive me, but if you gotta die, it's a kinda bitchin' way to go. Should have been forty years from now, though.

9/06/2006 9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oliver misses Julia terribly when she's not here. My MIL and I were just talking yesterday about how he'll handle it when she goes to preschool this fall.

Poor little guys.

9/06/2006 9:56 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

I knew it! I knew they were smelly old people! Wordgirl said it best.

Pooey is a little sweetheart for missing his sister like that. I understand why it would be a melancholy weekend without the other half of the family. I hope everything is back to normal now.

9/06/2006 10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn Blue Hairs. And don't forget when you're hiding the meth lab to also put away the sex toys, leather handcuffs and the gimp in the basement.

9/06/2006 2:15 PM  
Blogger meno said...

Hi there, i just stopped by via Esereth, because i liked your comment on her last post.

Nice blog, i'll be back.

9/06/2006 4:48 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

I think you should leave the sex toys out, right next to the motion lotion.

I will miss Steve Irwin and his over the topness. He went out just the way he would have wanted. Maybe way too soon but still he would love that.

9/07/2006 3:01 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

I was full of random commentary until I read Grass's apology. Now I'm just full of piss.

Bastard. FUCKING bastard.

(but still, was LMS good? b/c I'm scared to see it, out of fear that it won't live up to my ridiculously high expectations. after all, we're talking about the trifecta; Toni, Steve *and* Alan.

???)

xoxo

9/08/2006 1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home