Tuesday, August 08, 2006

2453 Red Balloons

My mom just sent me an e-mail in which she asked if I wanted any of the CDs she'd already downloaded onto her iPod. She attached a list of every single song, sorted into a spreadsheet by track, artist, album and music type. The file is 1.3 MB. Meeeegggggaaaaa biiiiiiitsssss. That's big, yo. I'm guessing you can transfer your iTunes song list into a Word spreadsheet, so don't go thinking she's some kind of obsessive shut-in, at least on account of the spreadsheet. But the shear girth of the list was so very impressive! Classical, country, jazz, New Age (gag), rock, world, folk, pop, electronica/dance (what the hell? Mom, are you doing x?). Everything. Two thousand, four hundred and fifty-three songs. And she makes awesome lasagna and is a killer tennis player.

Anyway, here's my favorite:

You're All I Need To Get By / Aretha Franklin / Potterybarn Divas / Jazz

The fact that my off-the-charts, anti-establishment, Buy Blue, liberal mom has a song off of an album entitled Pottery Barn Divas makes me bellly laugh. It's like catching Dick Cheney sipping a soy chai latte while trying on some old Birkenstocks at a garage sale.

(Just teasin, Mom. I really want that new Pink Martini album!)

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have you know I enjoy soy chai lattes very much, thank you. And Birks are my favorite footwear. I had Rummy bring a pair to old Saddam back in the seventies when they were just getting big, yanno.

8/08/2006 11:52 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Now we know why your daughter is a lesbian. And here I was, thinking it was because she grew up thinking all guys were like you...

8/08/2006 12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So your mom is down with the Queen of Soul? That makes her okay in my book. My favorite of Aretha's is: "Until You Come Back to Me".

8/08/2006 2:58 PM  
Blogger Mitch said...

Dick is a prude.

Your mom rocks.

I can't believe you had the patience to sit & read through the entire list!

8/08/2006 5:35 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I think if my Mom had electronica/dance, I might ask the same. Although she did call recently to tell me all about this "new band she heard and REALLY liked on NPR!".

It was the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

I think I fell off my chair.

8/08/2006 7:50 PM  
Blogger Jess Riley said...

I choked on a Tostito at your Dick Cheney imagery.

Potterybarn Divas!!! Ha!!! That reminds me of an article I saw in Newsweek today, where people are getting corporate logos tattooed on themselves. Where will the madness end?!?!?! LOL

8/08/2006 8:37 PM  
Blogger Jaye Wells said...

Pottery Barn Divas? What genius came up with that?

BTW, I love Pink Martini!

8/09/2006 6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Killer tennis player? Only because at 63 I climb over a 6-foot fence to get to the tennis courts. Should have been killer fence climber.

Can hardly wait to see your next write-up of the CD list you'll be getting today. Should I cull first?

Pink Martini is yours, but what about the PB Divas?

love,
mom

8/09/2006 7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooooh SNAP! You sure put Dick in his place. Ahem.

8/09/2006 8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will Mignon's mom adopt me?

8/09/2006 8:51 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

I hope you realize that, because of this post, I've been craving your mother's lasagna since yesterday.

8/09/2006 10:05 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

I'm just stunned that a mom like that actually exists. in real life. not just mother-lore.

lucky.

8/09/2006 9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home