Friday, July 14, 2006

Friday Concoction

Do you remember way back when the point of the F.Concoction was for me to revel in my laziness by writing nothing of consequence, ignoring links, forming thoughts coherent only to the legally impaired, and so on? Do you remember that? I do! And what have I done to myself now? What with the html nightmare of bulleted lists and scanning of pictures and scouring the internets for pretty things. These are not the activities of a lazy lazy mom in her jammies. So today's F.Con is an Ode to Slack. The only concession I will make to previous glorious F.Cons is to look for something pretty. Now, let's get this done!

Random Thoughts:
- I watched Shopgirl last night (see the notable lack of link lovey there?) into the wee hours and it was a truly transforming experience. First, I kept rationalizing that I shouldn't like the movie, the strange romance between the lovely Claire Danes and Steve Martin and that hairy big-nosed boy that was her other love interest. But she was so damn amazing in the roll. And the movie was perfectly cast. And again, can I say how amazing Ms. Danes was? I cried three separate times, once just because I was a little overwhelmed by how beautifully and poignantly she acted. Then, when I was doing all the prepare for bed stuff, I cried again because I've been so immersed in the suckitude of selling the house that I've been an angry tired wreck for the last three weeks and after watching what maybe shouldn't have been such a beautiful movie but was, something washed over me and made me feel clean and healthy and in love with my kids and my husband and accepting of whatever is to come for us. And I felt good. Really good for the first time in a long time. I woke up to a sink full of Hamburger Helper, or whatever it was that the garbage disposal regurgitated in the middle of the night, and I wasn't even bummed.
- Madeleine learned this annoying thing from Brian at school last week. If I tell her to do anything, like "Madeleine can you please put your shoes on the right feet?" she'll say, charmingly, "Put your shoes on the right feet." Or "Madeleine, can you please pull your brother out of the dishwasher." I'll get a "Pull your brother out of the dishwasher." It reminds me of the way adorable 19 year-old frat boys grab their crotch and say, "Pull THIS!" How do you respond to that? I can only shut her up in the dryer so many times before it loses its effectiveness...
- I got my haircut again a few days ago and my hairdresser, whom I adore and will not quit, has forgotten how to cut my hair, so that I'm forced to use a handful of something that looks and feels just like Carmex to keep myself from looking a Dandelion gone to seed. It ends up looking okay, but I'm afraid I'm leaving the So-Glo smear on all our pillows.
- And speaking of hair, I cut Pooey's yesterday in the shower and with his new jacked-up big-boy hairdo I'm afraid he has entered a new realm of cuteness that I just don't know what to do with. I'm afraid I'm going to take a bite out of him at any moment. Will DEET work, I wonder?
- Here's something cute. That's all I got.
- This is more of a caracature than anything. But something about it I find very striking. And I readily admit to not knowing anything about Chick Corea.

Then and Now? Nah, I don't think so today... Here's some more vacation randomness....







And here's the view from Liquid Planet on this sunny hot Friday afternoon....



Happy weekend!

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nothing says vacation like tractor racing! Hee!

7/14/2006 4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the tractor picture! (Actually all the pics...)

Doesn't the hugging salt shaker remind you of a schmoo?

7/14/2006 6:33 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Nothing like a punch in the kiss-ah to wake you up on a very long drive...

7/14/2006 7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pic of the kids on tractors is too cute. They look like they're having a blast. The shot of Pooey asleep in his carseat (so sweet)reminds me of when we drove to the Grand Canyon and then to Northern California in our old VW camperbus. Wilder wasn't born yet and the other two were only 8 months old 21 months old. When they slept it looked just like that. And Madeline is growing more beautiful each day. I miss those days.

7/15/2006 7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a sucker for a sleeping child in a carseat...and that tractor picture is awesome. Frameworthy.

I like the necklace you're wearing in the picture where you're kissing fist...what stone is it?

7/15/2006 4:13 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Sounds like watching the movie gave yourself time to relax, and catch up with yourself.

7/16/2006 8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved, loved, loved Shopgirl. I think I blogged on it but I'm too lazy to check.

It was mesmerizing. And beautifully acted. And poignant. And not sentimental and yet, God, it made me cry too, cry from the deepest loneliest spot inside of me. It was achingly beautiful. I'd read the novel before I saw the movie and loved the novel too--especially interesting because it uses an omniscient narrator.

Steve Martin--genius.

The visuals in the movie were interesting too. Did you notice the prevalence of the color green in the sets? And the sterile look of the store and his apartment? Very cool all around. Much overlooked movie.

Glad it took you to a good place mentally.

7/17/2006 3:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pics are awesome!! I read shopgirl, but haven't watched it yet. I did the same thing as I read--kept telling myself I shouldn't like the book (the one reviewers said was more a screenplay than a book) but I couldn't help it. The quiet moodiness of it was great. Will have to check out the movie.
You sound blue. Buck up little mamma!!

7/17/2006 7:25 AM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

I am totally stealing Madeline's new dissin' lines. Those rock!

Love the pics of the tractors. And you getting punched. You are a riot.

7/17/2006 8:45 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

I'm intrigued by Shopgirl, but I wonder if I can get past the she-stole-Billy-Crudup-from-his-pregnant-girlfriend way of thinking enough to enjoy Claire Danes's performance.

I've missed the Concoction.

Oh, and your kids are really freakin' cute. Those toes on Quinn! Yum!

7/17/2006 9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The tractor picture! Awesome!!

I hope you are managing with all the stress. I know what it's like, although not with two kids on top of everything else. Sending good, happy house selling thoughts your way.

Can we see a picture of Pooey's new haircut? Pleeeeaaaasse?

7/17/2006 9:40 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

Those pictures are fanfuckingtastic! The face-punch, the tractors, your adorable smiling midgets...er children. LMAO. Thank you. I needed that.

7/17/2006 4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to order Shopgirl on Pay per View but then I got tired. Glad to hear you liked it as I hadn't read any reviews or heard anything about it one way or the other. Now that i know at least one person didn't think it sucked, i can order with confidence. Thanks :)

(PS: those are some mighty cute kids you have there!)

7/17/2006 6:40 PM  
Blogger Orange said...

I wanted to punch Steve Martin midway through that movie.

Okay, what's the "Finally!" in the B-list blogroll all about?

7/17/2006 9:26 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Catching up...
Orange, punch him because he was a dick or because you couldn't stand the whole thing? The Finally! means the website was updated - it only works on Blogger sites. For some reason Typepad updates don't register for Blogroll.

Izzy, thank you. And I hope you like the movie; I hate to disappoint.

Dan, you're very right. Maybe Deuce Bigalow would've given me the warm fuzzies too...

MamaT, it's not a stone but some sort of paper art. One side is grey/blue and the other a combo of green made to look like a leaf. I'm going back to that store later, and they were cheap ($25 or $15?). Want me to look for one for you?

Thanks for all the niceness about the pictures. I love the tractor one too (there are about 50, including pics with the kids riding on the big one with grampa).

7/18/2006 10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home