Thursday, May 18, 2006

Friday Concoction

You know what I hate? When a band that you think is boring and only good for G-rated movie soundtracks becomes suddenly brilliant and innovative in retrospect. Like the Beatles. Well, maybe not those guys. But The Beach Boys. The whole do-whop, talking about surfing and cars and stuff. I will not join in the canonization of Brian Wilson. This paragraph would be a lot longer if I could think of another band that bothers me in this way. Instead let's talk about more bands that I feel like I should like but don't: The Who, Sarah Mcglaughlin, String Cheese Incident (sorry Teebs), Lauryn Hill all by herself without Wyclef and Pras, Mozart (too plinky), Tom Waits (I've tried A LOT!). Okay, that's enough sentences.

I said a couple days ago that Madeleine and I are reading Mrs. Frisbee and the Rats of NIMH. My mom read it to my brothers and me ages ago, and I remember it being about rats and Mrs. Frisbee. I didn't remember much about the Nimh part. But whoa. The rats escaped this place they called NIMH, which is actually a laboratory conducting experiments to increase the intelligence of rats by altering their DNA, and are trying to literally build their own utopia complete with machinery, electricity and plumbing and everything. I mean it's a crazy story! I thought it was going to be all Narnia-y because they're both strange words that start with N. Now in my mind I want to say Mrs. Frisbee and the Rats of N-I-M-H. Because it's not nim, it's En Eye Em Aitch!

Links and Asundry

  • "People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history." --Dan Quayle
  • I was actually enjoying the idea of quite a few of these re-mixed wedgies from the '40s, until I came to the Open-Toe Spectaters. Please avert your eyes to that portion of the website.
  • My BFF and one-and-only bridesmaid Janet gave me a gorgeous sea glass wrist cuff as a wedding gift, and it perfectly matched my wedding dress. Her friend had made it, and I still cherish it. I was just looking for a necklace or pair of earrings in a similar style and found this. It is EXACTLY the same as my cuff. Isn't it awesome?
  • This list isn't adding much to your day, is it?
  • I saw this young girl comment somewhere and bookmarked her page because if this doesn't bring you back, you were in a coma until you could vote. It wasn't me, but it was the girl that sat in front of me in Traffic Safety.
  • I have had my ears pierced for about 1 year and have lost 1 of every pair of earrings I've bought in that year. So I give you these pretty-prettys. Or I should say, please give me these pretty-prettys. I like the Chic Bounce. These are okay too.


The Then'n'Now section is just Then today. I was going through pictures and found a collection from our Before Kids days when we lived a stone's throw from the Flathead River in Kalispell. To quote our buddy, Mr. Big, it was killer glass, dude. Meaning the water was flat, slow, and buttery. We wakeboarded a lot. We were young. It was fun.

Now both doggies are gone, Mr. Big is a gay (if you can't tell from the flair with which he wakeboards) accountant and lives in Columbus, I can't fit into those clothes, and Jim's biceps still haven't seen the sun ...

Me (I'm going for a little half-assed grab here - I thought I was cool as shit):


Doggies (George is the lab, he died of bone cancer almost 3 years ago. Scooter is the Karelian Bear dog. She ran away right after we moved to Missoula and is probably the iron-fisted leader of some pack of wolves somewhere. She was some bitch.)


Jim (He's looking worried because I'm driving the boat and had a tendency to overlook driftwood.)


Mr. Big (See what I mean? About the flair? Nice Method.)

18 Comments:

Blogger Arabella said...

I only had one bridesmaid, too! It was C.S. She was a real trooper.

I think that all of the jewelry is lovely. Did it hurt when you got your ears pierced? Rumor has it that it hurts adults more than kids.

The photos are great. You are brave!

5/19/2006 10:43 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Yes, it hurt! More than I expected, but not more than waxing. About the same, actually. Like, you kind of want to cry, but it's not absolutely necessary. And I can't believe I went that long without earrings, because I LOVE them. Sparkly! Hoopy! Girly!

My friend Janet looked gorgeous and she gave the best speech at the reception. She was in the midst of falling madly in love with her now-husband, and we kept teasing her about being on the phone with him all the time, which I now feel bad about. Sorry Janet! If you're reading this!

5/19/2006 10:48 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Oh, Wordgirl, all the kds ths dys r dng t. But, yes - that 'smart' part was just a tad misleading.

5/19/2006 10:50 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

OMG. That "flair" picture totally made my day.

In fact, I'm laughing so hard I forgot what I was originally going to comment on.

Whatever dude. Have a great weekend.

5/19/2006 12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You rock Mignon. We have a boat, skis and a board and I have never gotten up. Not once. Shameful. I do drive everyone else though, so I'm not completely useless.

And I hope I get to see your wedding bracelet. I bet it is gorgeous, based on that link.

PS - I forgive you about SCI, they aren't for everyone. Would you believe I don't like Phish very much? (well the qualifier is I like them a lot better when I'm stoned and that doesn't happen nearly as often as it did when I used to like them.)

5/19/2006 12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

funny you mention Sarah. I just sent this mass email to a bunch of friends the other day...after watching, yep you guessed it, none other than...my dear friend, Oprah.

If you still feel the same way about Mclachlan after this. something is seriously wrong with you.

i may have to break up with you. actually.

http://www.worldonfire.com

peace be with you.

5/19/2006 1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just kidding.

http://www.worldonfire.ca/

5/19/2006 1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooo phish.

my favorite song was FEE.

'in the cool shade of the banana tree...'

i dated a hippie. he was smaller than me and i could wear his jeans. he was barefoot a lot, and called me lucky 7. he also worked at Mcdonalds.

we listened to Fee a lot.

i like it a-lot.

5/19/2006 1:47 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

stella, step away from the comment box...

(Fee is my favorite, although sometimes I love Bouncin Round the Room)

Teebs, you just didn't have a good coach. And maybe you had the wrong foot forward. It took Jim 3 outings to figure out he was goofy-foot.

Tink, xx - have a hella weekend, yourself!

5/19/2006 3:06 PM  
Blogger Mitch said...

Have you ever seen the movie for Mrs. Friz & the Ratties? I like it alright now, but I remember the first time I saw it, I absolutely hated it because it had cut out all the details about Nimh and destroyed the storyline. Now that I think about it, I feel odd having formed that opinion an a 10 or 11-year-old.

Even after checking out the shoes, re-mixed wedgies still spawns painful mental images.

That blog - please, never EVER post a link like that again! I don't think a read a complete sentance before the pain and anguish forced me to close out the window, elsewise suffer severe, uncontrollable nausea. ....explain to me what "sign dance" is. "I like to sign dance." Does that somehow involve deaf quadriplegics?

I gave you a book recomendation, now you want earrings too? what do I get? I've not even earned a link on your sidebar yet!
I like most of the earrings, except the ModSquad at the very bottom. It says "Mother of Pearl hoops" but it looks like Pep-O-Mint Life Savers.....Mmmmm...yummy. They should make candy earrings! I know you can't nibble your ears, but someone else could.

Yes, Mr. Big is homo-fab with the flair.

5/19/2006 6:49 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

I know about those Life Savers ones - and the Ribbon Falls earrings look like fly tape with jelly beans.

Mitch, I am sorry about my delinquent side-bar update. My boring template so depresses me that even updating my blogroll requires a little pep talk and some beer.

I haven't seen the movie, and now probably won't. I think the NIMH part is the coolest.

5/19/2006 7:10 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I feel oddly compelled to water ski..

5/19/2006 7:18 PM  
Blogger DoctorMama said...

That Jamie is awesome. I sat behind her in Biology. She tried to cheat off me once and got caught.

(A thought: do you think she might be a fed posing as a teenager? Seems too perfect ... but I suppose they would pose as someone younger; they don't care who the sixteen-year-olds sleep with.)

I don't think she's got the wits to know how to use a sitemeter, since her sidebar still says "Edit Me," but if she does, she's got to be baffled by the hits she's getting from the old folks' home over here.

Bouncing Round the Room is ok, the rest is bo-ring.

My should like but don't is Neil Young. Can't. Stand. That. Voice.

5/19/2006 8:26 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

I agree about Phish, Doc. Boring and self-indulgent. Then again, Mary-Jane never sat well with me, so maybe I'm missing the boat.

I was also wondering whether Jamie was the real deal, considering she gave her first and last name. I thought maybe she was some kind of bait, but yeah, the age doesn't make sense.

5/21/2006 2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabu post, Mignon. It was all good and more than added to my day. First that girl's blog...my inclination is post some encouraging words about color, and optimism and all the ways life gets better. But then I figure that's weird or I'll have struck up a corespondance in life lessons that I just can't deliver on. The DARKNESS, man the darkness. I had to click away.

Love the D.Q. quote.

The before pics are stellar. That place looks so freaking clean.

Please post your wedding cuff photo. Hell, do several wedding photos. I adore jewelry. I'm not the only one.

Yes, I agree with the opinions above, no more Jamie. I have to give myself a pep talk now reassuring myself that I have hopefully a decade before I'm prowling the internet to intercept my kid's really bad posts. I'm way to optimistic.

5/21/2006 6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the flair picture.

And I have to ask -- how do you always find such amazing shopping stuff? You always have the coolest web sites. I am always bookmarking stuff in Del.icio.us after I've been to your place. ;-)

5/22/2006 7:28 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

where the eff did you find that potty-ingly funny link to Jamie Wild's blog, again? sweet jeebus. that's painful - I actually rubbed my eyes to be sure I wasn't seeing spots.

love the wakeboarding photos - dontcha miss activities like that? me too (mine is snowboarding).

*sigh*

5/23/2006 4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mignon, Homo-flair update. I blew kisses at the pitcher whom I hit a home run off of in our gay softball league last weekend.

BTW, that aerial manuever is actually referred to as a "gay air" in the bro-brah shred circles of the pacific northwest. And I do it well! Who knew?

To the individual trying to learn to ride a wakeboard I urge you to "feel the water under your board - man."

5/30/2006 5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home