Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Writin' Wednesday

Did you see that up there? I'm dubbing this Writin' Wednesday. I've got my new glasses on, my backwards, evoking-Fletch baseball hat, a full cup of tepid decaf, and a stack of notes and partial pieces of a story I really want to finish. Quinn's asleep, the dog's in his doghouse and the eagle has landed. And if you're so inclined, please join in on future Wednesdays - maybe it will inspire me if I see other's getting jiggy with it. (Fletch would never say that would he? I'm so embarrassed.)

Here is the opening to The Valley (or Life in the Valley - can't decide which)...

Lanny stumbled to his car and opened the door. There was a sucking noise from the garbage bag over his window. The neon roller skates from the sign above the parking lot lit his dashboard, and he sat behind the wheel and lit a cigarette. He wouldn't tell Gary about the jukebox yet. He reached in the twelve pack next to him and counted two cans. He listened to the basketball game on the radio until a commercial break, then got out of the car, crushing his cigarette under his work boot. The market across the street was still open.

Bill was sitting up in the back seat when Lanny came back. He avoided a new puddle next to the car and said through the garbage bag, "Come on asshole, let's get this done. I told Christine I'd come by."?

Bill tipped a can to his mouth. "She's fuckin' damaged goods, dude. Rode hard and put up wet, you know?"?

Lanny opened the back door and put in his hand to help his brother out. He figured with a good hour they could at least get rid of the beer cans and pizza boxes. The roller rink floor needed to be swept, too. Gary was going to shit about the jukebox, but maybe they could blame it on that kid with the braces and headgear that had been kicking it earlier in the day. Bill crushed the can and threw it towards the front seat. It landed with a dead thunk against Lanny's toolbox. It was still half full. Bill pushed himself out of the car and they both went back into the rink to clean up the remnants of their party.


Okay, that's all I can do for now. I don't want to blow my writin' wad on the first day. And, as always, any and all criticisms and comments are welcome (unless you make fun of my new glasses for being crooked - it's my fucking cock-eyed ears!).

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your writing -- so descriptive and vibrant. Can't wait to see more.

3/01/2006 9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great beginning. And that's always the hardest part, well that and the middle, oh yeah, and a decent ending.

Anyway, does this mean we have to wait until next Wednesday for the next installment? You're like all Stephen King and shit Mignon.

3/01/2006 9:54 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

What I love about your writing is how you create such vibrant characters in such a short time.

Are those new glasses you're wearing your pipecleaner glasses, by chance?

3/01/2006 12:01 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

Bravo! Great start. "Braces and headgear." That paints an interesting mental picture.

3/01/2006 12:56 PM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

Your writing is excellant! I can picture the scene exactly. Just Wednesdays won't be enough for us old people with fuzzy brains, though...what if we forget what happened the week before? Maybe you chould put "Chapter" links in your side column?

3/01/2006 1:48 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Thanks guys...
Good idea, GG. I need to update my B-List over there anyway. Maybe I can get to that tonight. AFTER American Idol with the grey-haired guy that I love, of course.

3/01/2006 3:19 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Uh, no its a Lost night Mignon.

What genre is this piece? Is this the beginning?

Great start. Can't wait to read more!

3/01/2006 4:48 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Good for you, Mignon! You're off to a great start.

3/02/2006 6:40 AM  
Blogger Jaye Wells said...

It's a good sign when an excerpt like that leaves the reader with earnest questions. Who are these guys? What are they doing? What the hell happened to the jukebox?

Write on, sister. We need to know more.

3/02/2006 7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never knew my head was so deformed until I got my first glasses fitted. I seemed so upset that they consoled me by trying to tell me that most everyone had an asymmetric skull.

Yeah... right.

If you write it they will come!

BTW writer girl - any opinion about Augusten Burroughs?

3/02/2006 10:40 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

dd (what's with all the crazy pseudonyms? I'm having trouble keeping up!), your head is so straight and undeformed, it is what led me initially to believe you were an ex-Marine.

If the only thing I knew about AB was that he said this: "You see, I am determined to have a career that allows me to remain virtually motionless and seated." I would love him forever. I have Running With Scissors on my stack of books that I must read. Now I must read them. So no. I have no opinion as of yet except that I love that quote.

3/02/2006 2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Running With Scissors" has been my introduction, thanks to an American friend here at work. Next up is "Sellevision".

Psuedonyms: I thought I'd abbreviate my pseudonym. DD is the license plate abbreviation in Germany for Dresden. Here you can tell what town people are from from the first two letters of their plate.

No more wondering if the dawdling idiot in front of you is from out of town and lost. You instantly know it. People actually seem to cut you some slack if you are driving in an unfamiliar town too.

3/03/2006 6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home