Thursday, February 12, 2009

Reminders

Life is fine here. Nobody's too sick, the dog quit having seizures. I'm not even hating on February as much as I've led you to believe. Feb's all right, just, you know, mildly irritating. My car runs. The coffee I've been drinking for the last half hour is still pretty hot. So writing suffers. There's no drama, I'm not pissed at anyone, not elated with shape of my eyebrows, not sick with sadness (that was last month).

Yesterday I got talked into signing up for Skype, an online phone-call thing. Calling and talking to people on the computer, my face all blown up on their laptop. Their giant face on mine. It seemed superfluous, because, um e-mail? Facebook chat? An actual telephone that doesn't shove your sleepy face and unwashed hair into someone's computer monitor? But I did it because he kept insisting.

And now today I'm thinking about things that I've neglected or thought I grew out of that are important...

First, hanging out with my friend Fred. He was one of my closest friends in high school and we did a lot of pointless hanging out. And yesterday we Skyped and basically hung out for 15 minutes. This time we both had kids climbing all over us, but we kinda just sat around, chillin, while looking at each other on the computer. It was weird, but instantly comforting. I write a lot of stories about young people and their insecurities, awkwardness, angst, but in reality, hanging out with Fred reminded me that it didn't all suck. (This is him, he's a photographer. Call me if you need someone to take a picture of you jumping through the forest.)


Second, candy bars. Why, if I crave a slab of chocolate with hazelnuts, would I stare at the candy rack with chaste longing, like a retired arthritic longshoreman in the front row of a strip club. It was a dollar and fifteen cents and it totally made my morning. A candy bar now and then is really fucking good. And not illegal or potentially disease-ridden.

Third, Queen. A big part of why February is pfft. (And also perhaps why I spent 2 minutes in the penalty box last Friday night.)

Fourth, totally offensive humor. Andrew Dice Clay, Sam Kinison, and this guy, who makes me laugh like a kid hunkered down with a sticky magazine in the back of the bus, and also directly led to my gesturing at my crotch and saying "Turn THIS" when Jim asked me to turn up the volume on American Idol last night.

And, lastly, weight lifting. I'm doing it again.


Looking back at a couple of these, I think the inversion in the Missoula valley has caused a dangerous build-up of testosterone.

8 Comments:

Blogger Orange said...

Two things:

1. Damn you! Now I really, really want a Snickers Almond bar.

2. You go, girl! I have a trainer at the gym, but I don't work hard enough to get your enviable biceps.

2/12/2009 10:37 AM  
Blogger Bob said...

impressive looking biceps.

I bought my first Queen album in 1976 - A Night At The Opera.

I'm also a long-time Sam Kinison fan too. I always thought especially ironic that he was a preacher before becoming a comedian.

2/12/2009 11:02 AM  
Blogger HeyJoe said...

That YouTube clip is fucking classic. Are you a Bill Hicks fan? If you've not heard him, YouTube him. He's fucking brilliant.

Nice arms. You could totally kick my ass. (I almost wrote KISS my ass. You can do that too if you want. Kidding, but not really, I mean if you're into that sort of thing.)

2/12/2009 12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn Mignon, I'm adding you to my girl crush list along with Starbuck. In fact with your guns and your hair long, you kind of remind me of her.

2/13/2009 5:30 AM  
Blogger Feral Mom said...

Damn YOU TB, for linking Mignon and Starbuck together in my mind. Now I'll never sleep again.

Excellent, excellent biceps. But that goes without saying.

Glad you like the Louis CK. You've seen this one, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcnXpOygKGI

And this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmban3Fio14

OK, I'll stop now.

2/14/2009 12:09 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

So I found this: http://flickr.com/photos/38117284@N00/1272299280

and I'm flattered, but dude. She's totally gonna get punched in the face here.

2/14/2009 2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had two pieces of Dove chocolate today. Heaven. Love your arms. Am totally jealous. Totally.

2/17/2009 3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, obviously you're a better boxer than she is, but hello, hot.

2/22/2009 9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home