Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Decision-making, Mignon style.

I just spent the last hour tearful and angsty, trying to decide what to do with our conundrum of holiday plans. We had decided months ago we would wake up this Thanksgiving Eve, pack up the kids, car and asundry pets and drive nine hours to Portland to celebrate and gorge ourselves at my brother's place. But then there was this:


So the nine-hour walk in the park became the prospect of a 12-hour holiday icey, snowy, screaming children, armaggedon-like family fun ride. There and back. Twenty-four hours of OHMYGODWHATTHEHELLAREWEDOING? So then we looked at plane tickets. Leaving today, leaving tomorrow, leaving in the middle of the night, routed through Phoenix and Sacramento, flying the plane ourselves after a brief instructional video (the Big Sky air option), or perhaps utilizing the special skills of David Copperfield. Anyway way we looked at it, two thousand dollars, or sucking up to David Copperfield (which is perhaps why he's in trouble these days, what with the sucking up, and all).

I cried a little because I do that. Jim paced and threw the stick for Ali. Then I wiped some dog hair off the floor with the sleeve of my dirty sweatshirt and ate some toast. Jim chewed his cuticles and yelled at the children for laughing. I searched IMDB for pictures of Javier Bardem. Jim paced and threw the stick for Ali (he apparently lacks some creativity in the brooding behaviour). Then we decided. I will fly to Portland with Madeleine tomorrow for one and one half day. Now I have to poop.

10 Comments:

Blogger Orange said...

We're supposed to get 1 to 3 inches in Chicago, our first snow of the season. Fortunately, I don't have to leave my house. One guest, my mom, is driving 40 miles. The other is traveling 4 blocks.

And for that, I am thankful!

Good luck with your mangled, split-up holiday, Mignon!

Speaking of poop, I heard a little joke, one you probably already know: When the engineer was constipated, he could usually work it out with pencil and paper.

11/21/2007 11:03 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Your decision-making process sounds an awful lot like mine.

11/21/2007 1:04 PM  
Blogger meno said...

At least Ali was happy.

11/21/2007 2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But...but...Pooey and Jim? What will they do?

11/22/2007 7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta go and throw the stick. Wish I had a dog....

11/23/2007 9:59 AM  
Blogger SUEB0B said...

Good luck.

11/23/2007 1:08 PM  
Blogger Ortizzle said...

Hope it all worked out O.K. All that ice and snow makes me wonder if you will be living in a meat freezer by Christmas. Oops... you already are.

11/24/2007 1:46 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

Oh no! That sucks. I hope the trip went well regardless. Waiting for an update...

11/29/2007 12:14 PM  
Blogger TB said...

Hope you managed to have a happy holiday. Here's to Christmas being much easier to figure out.

12/02/2007 11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

oh mignon. this is so sad...yet, it made me laugh. im sorry.

how did it go??

12/03/2007 6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home