Monday, March 26, 2007

Mission Accomplished

Yeah, Mission Accomplished - I should be shouting it from the deck of an aircraft carrier. Which is to say, we are officially out of the other house and officially splattered all over the new house. The dishes are in the cupboards, and the beds are made. The rest of it looks like the factory where the Ark goes at the end of Indian Jones. Except imagine all those boxes in one room the size of Chevy Suburban. Madeleine knows better than to ask me to find her rain boots, scissors, alarm clock, little brother, etc.

A few signs we've left the suburbs:
-Our new neighbor with the hubcap art is a professional piano tuner. His wife is an urban gardener. Her friend across the street is a bird rehabilitator and the guy two houses down makes hand-carved birdhouses. They carry their groceries in cloth bags and pretend not to notice when the temporary paper shades fall down in the bathroom mid-BM.

-Yesterday when both toilet were plugged (damn Heffeweizen) we all walked to the corner store to get a plunger (our two are probably packed with the champagne glasses and antique linens, given the spastic packing in the final days). The store didn't have one, but the owner offered to lend us hers. We declined and received two other offers on our walk home. Yes, I did openly advertise our over-active bowels. Apparently this is how you make friends in the city.

-We've taken to locking our cars at night. The first night we did this, and neglected to see that the passenger doors were wide open on the opposite side of both cars. The urban gardener shut them for us. I was a little disappointed, hoping someone would come along and steal the 800 lb hand-me-down sewing maching. What the hell is a sewing maching anyway?

-Sirens. Last night there were many. A guy a mile from here blew himself and his garage up while tinkering with homemade fireworks. Jim and I, not less than one hour earlier, were wondering if we could implode OUR garage like they do with old buildings. Now we know - yes, but we may have to be airlifted out of the wreckage.

-Birds live in the city. Lots of them, but they all stop singing when the unruly pack of crows come along and crash the party. Crows are the Hell's Angels of the avian world.

Moving wasn't terrible, and the new house fits us. I'll be back later when I feel more articulate. I seem to have lost some of my faculties in the sea of cardboard and crumpled newspaper.

9 Comments:

Blogger OhTheJoys said...

Is it me or is a plunger just something one doesn't LOAN OUT?

3/26/2007 5:35 PM  
Blogger Jerri Ann said...

Glad you are getting all settled in...plunger an dall...

3/26/2007 7:48 PM  
Blogger meno said...

Can you boil a plunger? I wonder how many of those boxes will still be packed up after a year. *Says she with boxes in the basement from over 7 years ago.*

3/26/2007 8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hurray! Hurray! Congratulations!

Ha! I just wrote about some f-ed up crows that are currently haunting me. You are so right about them.

3/26/2007 9:06 PM  
Blogger spellconjurer said...

sigh,,,,,,and ahhhhhhhh. It sounds like your neighborhood rules. Think of all the blogging potential it holds! So, so glad you're back.

3/27/2007 2:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel you sister. We still have about 30 boxes in storage and that many more in the garage. I'm tired and I truly don't think I'm going to miss this stuff if it never gets unpacked.
I don't think we have a plunger either at this point so hopefully we'll have no bathroom catastrophes.
Keep fighting the good fight!

3/27/2007 7:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mignon, glad you're in. I can identify with the last minute spazzo packing. You're always doing great until you realize this is it! And stuff goes in the garbage that shouldn't or the garbage into the suitcase. So you're in the city? I'm jealous. I plan to move back eventually...I do miss the character-building crime episodes.

3/27/2007 8:32 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

He shut the doors for you?

*Blink* I didn't think that kind of stuff happened anymore!

Hoop and I left our ladder out against the side of our house one night and it was gone the next morning. The only thing I could think to say was, "Welcome to the neighborhood."

3/27/2007 1:40 PM  
Blogger Nance said...

Here in our little throbbing metropolis, we call crows "air carp." And we shoot them. But don't tell anyone.

3/29/2007 1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home