Monday, January 16, 2006

Help! I've got rocks!

My husband and I have reached the critical point in the battle of hoarder/opposite-of-hoarder personalities. As his baby steps are bringing us closer and closer to a finished basement, the shit-sprawl is becoming more and more apparent. Said shit will eventually be confined to a very small unfinished room behind the downstairs spare room, and clearly, this little square will not contain the avalanche. So I've started to chuck and label-for-Goodwill and donate to friends (sorry friends!) all that I deem superfluous. But then the crap seems to be crawling from their designated piles back into my life. Is there a reason to keep an appraisal done on our house when we've had two done in the meantime? Is there a reason to keep two streaky black and white printers that are out of ink? And fer real, yo - is there a reason to keep any VHS movie with any actor by the name of Corey (except Goonies)? These items will have to be secreted away in the dead of night. Or during the 9 hours when Jim's at work. That's probably enough time.

And there's evidence that the hoarder in him runs strong in his daughter as well. This morning I noticed the following scattered in unobtrusive corners around the house:




16 Comments:

Blogger Tink said...

LMAO! It's a rock convention. Or maybe they're her pets? Or maybe she's just stocking up to make her own version of kiddie Stonehenge. Your kid is a great!!

1/16/2006 9:56 AM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

I'll trade you my aphid infestation for your rock infestation!

1/16/2006 12:30 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

Oh, my god, that is hysterical. Are you going to get rid of her rocks? You could confine them to just her room ...

I'm trying to decrap our basement, too, but it's slow going. Our problem seems to be books and computer parts.

1/16/2006 12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heart Madeline. I collect rocks too and have mini cairns like those all over my house.

1/16/2006 1:19 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

This morning I threw away 1) an alarm clock that progressively runs twenty minutes faster each week; 2) a receipt from some books that I bought at Amazon over a year ago; and 3) an old, dead lightbulb. Why did I need to hold onto any of this stuff???

The rocks are hilarious and adorable.

1/16/2006 1:20 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Ooo, no way on the aphids, GG! We don't get them here too bad, but Portland was infested. I would be scraping and spraying them off the roses for hours. Ugh.

I probably can't get rid of the rocks. The small attempt I made today met with wails. Apparently they're already named and catalogued. I'm thinking about making her a rock shelf.

1/16/2006 1:24 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Yeah, teebs, I do fancy them a little. She at least has good taste in rocks.

'bella, you inspired me just now to throw out a leaking hacky sack. What are we impoverished Dead-heads? Not any more!!

1/16/2006 1:30 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Hehehe! It's like Blair Witch has taken over your house to scare you or something. Now if you see any twig formations...get out!

1/16/2006 2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How very zen of her to build little rock gardens. :-)

1/16/2006 2:42 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

LOL! That's so cute. Little families of rocks.

Wow. That's quite a doozy of a word verification below me.

1/16/2006 8:01 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

OMG! I love the rock piles. I find them at the bottom of the washer as well.

I totally cleaned out my hubbys stuff while he was at work. I posted the same thing on Tink's blog today.

1/16/2006 8:59 PM  
Blogger V said...

At least they are pretty rocks.

My daughter used to FILL her pockets with any old nasty rock she could find. Even nasty black bits of crumbling asphalt. Nothing was too good for her piles.

1/17/2006 7:25 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

You could have a yard sale

1/17/2006 7:54 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Hi Dan - thanks for stopping by!
But, the sad thing? We did have a garage sale, and I already got rid of all the leftovers in September. Sad.

1/17/2006 9:37 AM  
Blogger Orange said...

Ben likes to gather rocks. Sometimes they're part of families: he has to take the baby parking-lot rock back to the mommy parking-lot rock. Santa got smart this year, though, and gave him an assortment of tumbled, colored stones. With a little luck, a decorative rock collection will break the ugly random rock collection.

1/17/2006 1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not sure whether reading your blog makes me feel like you're close again or makes me miss you more. this is my favorite one lately. you're one of the best people i have ever met. lucky me, i actually got to spend a lot of time with you.
ps - i'm not a stalker. although you do play a wicked game.

1/23/2006 9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home