Friday, January 13, 2006

Concoction Friday

I woke up this morning in a good mood. This is rare for me, for I am typically sub-human until Poohey goes back down for his nap at 9. But I will not question the gods and goddesses of mood-doling for fear they will smite me with crabbiness this afternoon. And as long as I'm feeling so fine, I want to share with you everything that is sustaining this gaiety.

1) Jim got a nice year-end bonus, and I splurged on having our carpets cleaned. Now, instead of walking around thinking, "For fuck's sake, how in the hell did this house become such a foul, grimy shitheap?" I actually enjoy sitting on the floor with my children.

2) And the second thing I splurged on, a marked-down scanner at Best Buy, has allowed me to dig out and share things like this that make me smile (my little brother and I playing train):

3) The smell of Aveda hair products used to drive me insane with their over-powering sandalwoodyness, and now I'm feeling slightly more put-together because of them. To clarify, typically I only smell like Aveda when I leave the salon, because I can't be bothered to go through all those motions at 6:00 in the evening when I shower, because, and it probably goes without saying, what would be the point. But, I just bought this kind of relaxer stuff for coarse hair (mine's like wires), and when I put it on I smell like someone skilled with a hair dryer just fixed me up good All The Time! Sure, I look like Sideshow Bob in the mornings, but olfactory senses are so tied to emotion, I feel like 30 bucks! And that's another thing. An excellent cut and style in the best salon in Missoula is only 30 bucks. I KNOW!!

4) This line of cards makes me laugh out loud and I want to send them to all my new friends. They're never really appropriate for the traditional card-sending events, but what the hell? Why not?



5) The Sun Magazine. I know quite a few of us are aspiring writers, and I'm guessing the majority of us have something we'd like to publish in the works. This magazine inspires me to write like nothing else ever will. I read it and feel hopeful that I will someday finish my collection of short stories and that somebody besides my mom will like them. In fact, I think I will post a notice on their site to meet other readers and potentially start a writing group. Doesn't that sound nice?

6) And lastly, recently Teebs inspired me to appreciate my husband more and I feel it working. He comes home every day and loves on the babies, maybe goes for a run (look at me! I'm not mocking him!), then cleans up, straps the baby to his chest and lets me do whatever I want. Yesterday he took the kids for a walk and I took a 30 minutes shower. When I looked outside, I saw this. I thought Jim was in the grey sweats, talking to a child, but actually Jim is on the right and our 7-foot tall neighbor is on the left. Really. He's 7', his wife's 6'3" and their three children are all over 9 feet tall.


Have a nice Friday! I am!

14 Comments:

Blogger Tink said...

You live across from a family of Yetis?! Sweet. Omg, that card is f'n fantastic. Where-o-where did you find it?

1/13/2006 11:36 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

I so want to know where you found that card. I need it. NEED it.

1/13/2006 12:50 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

The company is called MikWright, and their cards and other products make me pee my pants laughing.

1/13/2006 1:08 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I don't know why I'm laughing so hard...it's either the 7 foot tall neighbor or the card!

Great job!

1/13/2006 3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scanners are amazing, aren't they? It's great to scan and share old photos -- adds a whole new dimension to their value.

My favorite guy coworker is 6'5". I am 5'1". We look totally goofy next to each other. :-)

1/13/2006 5:03 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

I'd write with you, Mignon, if you'd like. I need a good (metaphorical, of course) kick in the butt to get me started again. I'll check out that site.

Glad you had a good Friday. I hope you have a good weekend, too!

1/13/2006 8:34 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

I love those cards. I worship at their display alter in the store. I buy them and hang them in my cubicle. My favorite is the old broad in the 40's swimsuit, holding a cigarette, on the inside it says, "do, I look like I give a rats ass?"

Hooray for clean carpets. Ours are only 2 months old and I would not let a homeless person sleep on them. It friggin amazing what kids can do to carpet.

1/13/2006 10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dig the nike kicks, mignon. And the rainbow action on the sweater.

1/14/2006 9:17 PM  
Blogger The Queen Mama said...

Glad you had a great Friday! Good days and good moods are priceless.

And you reminded me that I desperately need to get our family room carpet cleaned. Ugh.

1/15/2006 1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i loved this post. loved every part of it. thank you :)

1/15/2006 5:52 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Thanks for the nice feedback!

B - I can't believe you were the only one who recognized how incredibly cool I was at 10.

And Arabella - I've been thinking about proposing some sort of writers' circle amongst our B-list, but I'm not sure how to go about it, plus I don't know if I'm ready to commit to producing something on a regular basis (must find good babysitter!!). But let's continue to mull it over, okay?

1/15/2006 7:53 PM  
Blogger DoctorMama said...

A 30 minute shower ... oooohhh ... want one.

1/15/2006 8:04 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Next time you take a pic of the 7 ft. neighbor get closer. That is awesome. And, line up your family next to his, that would be funny.

Keep me posted on the writer's group....

1/15/2006 8:39 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Debbie, that's funny, because I tried to get closer, but unfortunately the flash scared him away. I shit you not, when the camera flashed he looked up, panicked and scurried into his garage (ducking his head, of course).

1/16/2006 7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home